Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How would one ask for a raise?

Don't forget what things look like from your boss's viewpoint. Bumping you up $1-2/hour ($2-4K/year) may be a heck of a lot cheaper, easier, and less stressful than risking you leaving and having to train a new employee from scratch-- especially if business is busy and he can't afford reduced output. There are two sides to every situation and the more you can see what actually matters to the other party, the better you can be prepared.
    Licensed Professional Engineer
    G0766 / SO2 CNC with Aspire 8.0 / All 10 Fingers So Far

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    That's kind of an issue though. Did they disclose that info to you when you got the job or during the interview? I was never told anything of the sort. I show up and work. And I work as hard as I can. I do my best to try to improve my work day in and day out, and supposedly it didn't go unnoticed. To me, that warrants a raise. I was specifically told yesterday by the VP we are in fact having a meeting come July. And I am very certain he knows exactly why I double checked, based on his wording.
    Sure, it's part of company policy. Just showing up to work and doing the job you were hired to do doesn't really warrant a raise. That requires going above and beyond the call of duty IMO. You're supposed to do what you were hired to do, that's why you were hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    Don't forget what things look like from your boss's viewpoint. Bumping you up $1-2/hour ($2-4K/year) may be a heck of a lot cheaper, easier, and less stressful than risking you leaving and having to train a new employee from scratch-- especially if business is busy and he can't afford reduced output. There are two sides to every situation and the more you can see what actually matters to the other party, the better you can be prepared.

I honestly don't know what to expect. You all have given a lot of great information and tips, and I sincerely appreciate it. I think it would be wise to do more research on this subject before I go into this meeting. Thanks again, everyone.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

I completely agree with that statement. Just doing what's expected doesn't warrant a raise. Especially if that is the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    In the case of a lot of employers, mine included, you can't ask for a raise. You get an annual review and raise (if you deserve it) and otherwise, you can only get more money if you get a promotion. There are established metrics for determining what kind of raise you've earned, it isn't something subjective like how much your boss likes you. I think a lot of companies have gone to this because they don't like the idea of being sued for favoritism.
    I worked in IT for a trucking company that was like that. The different departments would get say a 3% increase in budget for raises. Exceptional employees may get a 3.5% raise where the .5% comes out of somelse's raise who only got 2.5%.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    In with 10. Out with 10.

That is exactly why I posted my question. So many wise and knowledgeable folks here that I'm very thankful to be a part of.

Now, as far as Georgia is concerned, not no, but h*** no! I strongly dislike Georgia. I was born here, and that's why I'm here. I suppose my preferred area would be Florida/Colorado/or anywhere like either of those two. If I got a compelling job offer out of state, in an area I don't hate, I'd strongly consider taking it.
    It's all about perspective my friend. I live in northeast Florida and have lived here all of my life (62 next month) except for when my Uncle Sam made me wear green and old me where I could live.

I would love love love to relocate to the mountains of northern Georgia or western North Carolina. I'm retired now but have some loose ends to clear up before I can make the move. Maybe one day in the next few years I'll make the move. IN the meantime I'll just vacation in those areas.
    Marshall
    In with 10. Out with 10.

Send me a PM if you're ever in the area and I'll take you to the best local wine shop we got. Smack dab in the middle of Dahlonega. I live in the mountains here.

Send me a PM if you're ever in the area and I'll take you to the best local wine shop we got. Smack dab in the middle of Dahlonega. I live in the mountains here.
    I'll be sure to take you up on that Chase. I'm not much of a wine drinker but I wold love to visit local BBQ places and lumber sources. I have a friend that moved to Dahlonega back in 2015. His wife owns The Rustic Rooster in Cleveland Ga. Figure if I relocate to that area I may have an outlet for some of my work.
    Marshall
    In with 10. Out with 10.

BBQ I can definitely help you with. I know the perfect place. It's cool too cause the main smoker they use is a GIANT revolver with the smoke pouring out the barrel. Facing the highway too, it's quite lovely.
    There's a local here who's pretty famous around town for his chainsaw art. He'll take the stumps or big logs and make incredibly intricate works of art all with only a chainsaw. Eagles, Bears, all sorts of really cool stuff.

I'll have to check out The Rustic Rooster!

How to ask for a raise varies considerably based on what you do, who you work for, and the specific business climate for your industry and your skill set. You are best off asking your coworkers, colleagues in the same "spot" in other businesses, or perhaps an immediate supervisor you are friendly with if they were promoted from your position to theirs.

But in most cases:

- If you do not have any special training or certifications, you have little negotiating power. The only way to get a raise is to try to negotiate on your actually showing up to work regularly, being a legal US citizen, and having a negative drug test. Get additional training or certifications to get a real raise.
    - If you do have special training or certification, see what the national and regional data on your pay is. If your employer is lowballing for regional pay, let them know this. Leave if they don't pay you an average wage for your position and area. If they are paying you decently for your area, either try to get additional training/certifications/degrees to demand a higher wage, or be willing to move to an area of the country where prospects are better.
    - If you work for a smaller, particularly family owned business, your best bet is to appeal to their future stability. As in, "I am very happy to work here but Giant Corporation up the street is offering $X more, I'd love to stay if you can match that."
    - If you work for a large corporation with a large contingent of douche-bros (30-something MBAs with gelled hair wearing tight-fitting suits), you have to look at how much damage it would cause them if you left. That amount is your negotiation wiggle room. If you are being paid market rate, then don't try for a raise. You must go and seek offers from others in the region and you very likely have to plunk one of their offers on the table and play hardball to get the douche-bros to negotiate. Be prepared for them to call your bluff as you may very well have to leave. If you walk out, they may stop you with a better offer out the door. But you MUST be willing to go out of that door and never come back as that is your only card. They anticipate you are not really willing to leave and expect you to come back and accept their crappy counter-offer a short while later as moving is often costly.
    - If you are somebody in high demand, you absolutely must seek several competing offers and use that in your negotiations. You must also be very willing to leave your current job.
    - If you are are in a very weird field like mine, the federal government has established salary caps and has made it nearly impossible to start your own business even though there is a huge shortage of "you" (the shortage is due to the salary caps.) If you are under the national salary cap, then you can negotiate if you are ready to move to BFE and get paid the cap amount, but if you are not, BOHICA. If your salary is at the cap, your only option is to go into a different profession. You have no advancement potential in this field even with a terminal degree. You must be an absolutely ruthless MBA to advance, and by advance it means "extract all value out of the organization and then run away from the dead carcass once you have sucked it dry."

On a lighter note, I love BBQ and live a few hours south of Kansas CIty, the Capital of BBQ. I've eaten at all of the legendary places there except Arthur Bryant's. Arthur Bryant's is on my bucket list but unlike Gates, which is famously friendly ("Hi, How May I Help You?"), it's famously not. I also have smoked a bunch of BBQ myself and have thankfully introduced my kids to it as well. My parents are from "Up Nort" and I was born there, only having moved to more civilized areas in grade school. Grilling was a chore done Memorial Day during the Pork Butt Wars because "regretfully we moved down south." "Barbecue" was the sauce you bought from the store to put on those grilled pork butts that tasted of lighter fluid. I took to my new surroundings like a duck to water and have lived here for decades. I drive a truck and enjoy smoking ribs, pork butts, pork loins, pork chops, and chickens for hours at a time on a charcoal smoker.
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 04-19-2018 at 10:10 PM.