Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 18 ft long table....

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a project that would benefit from a router sled to level/face joint the top. Contrary to prior advice, I'd make sure that the long grain runs the length of the table -- the other way would be a nightmare to compensate for expansion/contraction.

Mike

Agree with Mike. First thought I had after that suggestion was MASH episode with the Korean custom made suit ....
    with the pin stripes running horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Agree with Mike. First thought I had after that suggestion was MASH episode with the Korean custom made suit ....
    with the pin stripes running horizontal.
    Hehe. Not to mention controlling 18' of potential potato chip. Would be interesting to say the least.

Are you making a white pine slab top? Here is a company that I have dealt with for a number of projects - http://www.berkshireproducts.com/spe...ine,%20Eastern They are Berkshire Products in western MA. A long drive for me but not so bad from Gorham. Well worth a tour someday, even if you don't buy from them.

The link I provided is for their current 2" thick pine selection - some 39" wide, in the 8' to 13' range. I'm guessing that you are expecting NOT to get 18' boards.
    BP will process the lumber to your specs - for a charge of course. In the case where you might be limited with tools or space - you could at least buy 2 slabs all ready to go. They will ship according to your preference but certainly worth a drive to see the stock in person and discuss milling needs and/or to bring your wood home yourself. They also are worth calling if you need something that you don't see on the web sight, as their inventory changes regularly.

Was mentioned in one of the earlier posts - charge accordingly. Right on that! This is a super custom style project worth more, by far, than two conventionally sized tables of otherwise the same specifications.

Good luck.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Wayne, any photos of your project?
    Mark, here's an image off the net. I actually made all of the tables and desks in this chamber, as well as fitting out each councillor's office etc. The furniture in this photo received a national architectural award that year. The finishes are birch, leather and aluminium. Cheers

Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Impressive scale Wayne, would have given me nightmares.

Hey everyone thanks for all the great ideas and advice. I wanted to take a minute to update you on the status of this project. After discussing the challenges surrounding this project the client agrees that 3 6ft tables make more sense for them and with the different decals they have in mind it would actually work out better visually. Thanks again to everyone and I will post some pics after we are done!