Thread: Dust Collector for Sander

Dust Collector for Sander

I've ordered a new Supermax 16-32 sander and am expecting it in early May. Until now, I have used a 1 hp HF Dust Collector that I move between my cabinet table saw and my miter saw. I also run a Jet air filter. I do not utilize dust collection on my 15" planer as it was purchased used with the collector hood missing and I've just never done anything to replace it. I know I need DC with the sander. Will I get away with my current setup (I don't think so), should I up grade to a larger DC and leave it portable, do I need to go to a full blown ducted system? Please share your experiences. PS. The TS, planer and sander will all be mobile and when in operation be located in the same spot, so even a ducted system would only have one outlet. Thanks for you input.

Sanders make lots of fine dust. You want a powerful system with a good filter. If you have a crapoy mobile collector but it has a very short hose run that will help compensate a bit.

Depending how much you use the sander, you may want to consider getting a more powerful setup.

I got the 4 to 2.5 on fitting and use my vacuum. I have to get the right fitting for my DC. Try your setup now and see how it works. You should be able to move enough air with a short run.

If the 1 hp isn’t cutting it I would rethink your whole setup based on your budget. Cyclones seem to be getting more reasonable price wise.
    Don

I have the SuperMax and use it for tropical hardwoods for guitars and mandolins, including cocobolo and various rosewoods. So good fines collection is important to me. The exhaust port on top is 4”. It would be pretty tough ImO to modify to much larger but maybe MacGyver is around? Once reason I’m looking for a cyclone upgrade is my current 2hp system leaves a lot of dust in the air which goes up throughout the house from my basement furnace. It could be I have too long of flex hose or other ducting flaws too.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I'm no MacGyver, but this is what I did with the Performax 44/22 machine I have. I started by buying a replacement hood in case I totally screwed up. I do not see a lot of escaping dust.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ade&highlight=

There are so many variables in systems. I have a 3HP, 12" impeller with a cyclone and no filters (exhausts outside). There is no visible dust from the drum sander at all, with a 5" backbone and 4" drop to the tool. The particle counter doesn't change when it's in use, but I do have the garage door open any time I'm working.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll wait for the sander to arrive and get it setup. I'm still thinking that the dedicated 1 hp will be too small, but I'll give it a try. Should I be correct, I'll research my options and upgrade accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll wait for the sander to arrive and get it setup. I'm still thinking that the dedicated 1 hp will be too small, but I'll give it a try. Should I be correct, I'll research my options and upgrade accordingly.
    It is probably too small, but I think it's certainly worth trying. Keep in mind the sander will produce the most deadly tiny particles.

You didn't specify; is your DC equipped with a cloth bag or real filters?