Thread: Woodworm screw and use with weird jaws?

Woodworm screw and use with weird jaws?

I was looking at jaw instructions and numbers for different nova jaw sets that I own. I noticed that the instructions and website note that the woodworm screw can be used with jaws other than the 50mm jaws. Some of these jaw sets that are noted to be compatible with the screw seem like they would never work with a woodworm screw. At least not in the way I understand their use.

The NOVA website says these long nose jaws will work with the woodworm screw. WHAT?! How...

Would one use the screw held in the base of the chuck, simultaneous with contraction around a spigot? I do not see any way that could work.

Is NOVA's documentation just wonky?

Regards,
    Hank

The screw that comes with the Titan chuck is a lot longer than the screws that come with all the other chucks, it might work with those jaws.

The jaws don't grip the wood, only the woodworm screw. The wood is screwed down against the jaws. I use 4" jaws all the time with my Vicmarc wood screw. It gives a larger surface to support the wood.

I think your "wonky" applies here. I have use the standard screw with 35mm and 70mm bowl jaws.
    I have an old set of powergrip jaws which came with a longer wormscrew, I don't believe they come with the jaws now.
    Even with the longer screw it may be a push to use it with the new 75mm long nose. Without checking I think the powergrips are about 1-5/8 deep and the new longnose state 2" so???
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Hey folks thanks for the replies. Yeah... I have noticed some other discrepancies in the NOVA manuals...in one case, the instructions for a particular set of jaws, was clearly info for a different set of jaws, copied by mistake it seems to another page.

I was just wondering if I was missing something regarding the use of a woodworm screw with deeper (longer jaws) jaw sets. The only thing that confused me was the manual said it was possible, yet my common sense understanding says "NO WAY!" lol.

I use the screw with my 100mm (4") jaws as well John. For the same reason you say, it gives a wider base of lateral support.

Guess I will just have to use my judgement regarding which jaw sets can be used with the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Neufeld View Post
    Guess I will just have to use my judgement regarding which jaw sets can be used with the screw.
    I have three different lengths of wormwood screws in the drawer, made to fit different jaws. I didn't look but there may be other sizes in a box where I dumped extra 50mm jaws.

wormwood_screws.jpg

With a Glaser screw chuck I rarely use the Nova screws but when I do I expand the jaws as much as possible to still press flat against the base of the blank, lock the lathe spindle, then tighten the blank on the screw.

As per Frank Penta, Clewes, and others, it doesn't take many threads to hold a shallow blank like a plate or platter. It is common practice to slip a plywood spacer or two over the jaws to limit the depth of the hole.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have three different lengths of wormwood screws in the drawer, made to fit different jaws. I didn't look but there may be other sizes in a box where I dumped extra 50mm jaws.

I may need to look into getting one of those long screws. It appears to be the same one that NOVA sells for the cole jaws. I wonder if it would work with my longer jaws.

As per Frank Penta, Clewes, and others, it doesn't take many threads to hold a shallow blank like a plate or platter. It is common practice to slip a plywood spacer or two over the jaws to limit the depth of the hole.

I am trying to avoid having to change jaws as often. Sometimes I go from a larger blank with a recess or tenon, and then want to turn something using a screw mount, it would be nice to have an option for when there are longer jaws on the chuck. I have another smaller chuck that I keep small jaws on, usually the kind that will not work at all with NOVA's woodworm.

JKJ

Thanks for the information you guys! Love this forum.

Regards,
    Hank

I may need to look into getting one of those long screws. It appears to be the same one that NOVA sells for the cole jaws. I wonder if it would work with my longer jaws.
    Thanks for the information you guys! Love this forum.

I am trying to avoid having to change jaws as often. Sometimes I go from a larger blank with a recess or tenon, and then want to turn something using a screw mount, it would be nice to have an option for when there are longer jaws on the chuck. I have another smaller chuck that I keep small jaws on, usually the kind that will not work at all with NOVA's woodworm.

Regards,
    Hank
    I've never tried a screw with my cole jaws. Send me an email with your mailing address and I'll send you one of the long Nova screws. I have more than I need. I have another package waiting for me to get to the mailbox so I could easily take two, hopefully tomorrow. (things have been crazy busy here)

As for changing jaws, I very much agree with you. This is one reason I have 17 chucks. Another reason is to have multiple chucks with the jaws I use the most so I can leave projects mounted in the jaws while working on other projects. (One student is currently "occupying" two of my chucks with 50mm jaws

As mentioned, I almost always use the old Glaser screw chuck instead of the wormwood screw. I think it is superior because of the way the threads are cut. It doesn't require using one of the scroll chucks either. The original is no longer made but the current copies look identical except for the labeling: https://glaserhitec.com/product/1-1-...i-screw-chuck/ I've been considering getting one of these.
    1-and-quarter-screw-chuck.jpg

JKJ

Thanks John, you're the best! And 17, yeah that sounds dreamy...the efficiency factor there must be unreal! I felt bad buying a second! And now I find myself needing another!

...the efficiency factor there must be unreal!...
    Some might describe it as a laziness factor. I really, really hate changing jaws - some jaws haven't been off in over 10 years. If I didn't mind changing jaws I could probably scrape by with four or five chucks. Well, maybe six. Or seven.

JKJ