Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear eye protection when you do chiselling work?

Do you wear eye protection when you do chiselling work?

Someone in a thread about the new Rough Cut show expresses his displeasure about seeing the new host using his chisel without wearing eye protection.

Do you wear eye protection when chiselling? Or, under what circumstances would you wear one when you use a chisel?

Simon

I guess so if my reading glasses count.

If I didn't need them to see up close, I wouldn't put anything on for chiseling.

Same here. Now....using the grinder is another story...

No, but to each his own.
    Don

No........
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I have to use glasses when chiseling in order to see the line, but I don't do it for safety. Never considered that chiseling could pop a chip up into my eye.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nope. Can't really see any reason to, either.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

no........

I use safety google all the time. Was drilling metal long time ago and it happened.....

I wear glasses all the time, but even with plastic lenses, without side protectors they don’t count as safety glasses. So I guess the answer is yes, sorta kinda. But I have gotten wood in my eyes once or twice while blowing chips out of mortises, so it is a good idea.

The most common Jobsite injuries are hand, followed by arm. Eyes are way up there too, a serious eye injury will absolutely ruin your life, moreso than a cut hand or broken finger.

Think about it.

Other than my normal everyday glasses I don't for woodworking but I do wear them when working with any sort of metal, including grinding chisels. The only serious injury I've ever had while working came from grinding the modern markings off a bolt head for installation in a classic car. I never even felt the speck of metal enter my left eye, had no clue it happened until the next morning when my eye was red and irritated. Let it go another day (classic male stubbornness re: medical issues) which was a huge mistake.

The next morning my eye was basically swelled shut. Turns out that little speck embedded / burned itself in my cornea off-center and high (I was looking down at the grinder) and was now rusted firmly in place. Went to the emergency room, doc took one look and immediately made the call to a ophthalmologist (luckily in the same medical complex) who proceeded to grind, yes grind, the metal, rust, and a bit of my cornea out. Even through the local anesthetic I could feel the grinder on my eye ball, mostly a sense of heat but occasionally a sharp stab. And, believe me, the smell of your own eyeball grinding away is not pleasant. This was four or five years ago but I still remember both quite well. To this day the eye still doesn't feel normal and I find myself squinting with that eye more than I did before.

Long story short, I am no longer cavalier about the safety of my eyes around metal. One seemingly minor incident can have long-lasting effects.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 04-16-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, often. I have good glasses that are very clear and so I can wear them all day without issues. I take them off for shaping by hand or planing.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have safety lenses in my regular glasses and back the up whenever using a power tool with googles. I dislike the feeling of grit in my eyes. I always wear googles when metal working, even filing. Experience with things in your eyes tells the tale. Nothing fun about it. Have a friend with an eye patch helping someone saw firewood not even operating the chainsaw.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I have safety lenses in my regular glasses and back the up whenever using a power tool with googles. I dislike the feeling of grit in my eyes. I always wear googles when metal working, even filing. Experience with things in your eyes tells the tale. Nothing fun about it. Have a friend with an eye patch helping someone saw firewood not even operating the chainsaw.
    Jim
    There is arc flash.... Oh the night after.....

Wow, I am surprised nobody does. I don't do it when paring.

But when mortising, I do.