Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you wear eye protection when you do chiselling work?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Wow, I am surprised nobody does. I don't do it when paring.

But when mortising, I do.
    Maybe I'm just not as rigorous a mortiser as others. Rarely do I send chips flying up to eye level.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Rigor mortis

You're the pro, Zach. I'm probably doing it all wrong. But occasionally they fly - enough that I felt it was silly (for ME) not to protect my eyes.

Blog Entries
    Hard to judge depth perception with one eye, so easier just to wear glasses.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I wear mine so I can see what I am doing...take them off...I'd be like Mr. MaGoo....

Chopping out box joints...little chunks tend to fly up and out....usually straight back into an apron pocket...sometimes, on the second or third ricochet ...they will bounce off the glasses...

It is good to keep the eyes shut when blowing waste!

David (Plastic Spectacle wearer).

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    It is good to keep the eyes shut when blowing waste!

David (Plastic Spectacle wearer).
    I agree. I don't know how many times I need to relearn this though

When I saw my dovetails, it is not that important. When I am chiseling out waste for a dovetail, yes. I have managed to send a chip out that hit me in the face.

If I am paring, it seems less likely. While using a hand plane, never had a "chip" come back at me.

For me it is easy to slap on a pair if I am not wearing my classes (which means close work since I am near sited).

I dont but I can see the logic of why it is a good idea.

I guess not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Tools? All the time. Every time. (for all the same reasons posted above)

Metal work? All the time. Every time. (for all the same reasons posted above)

Hand work? ...SOME of the time. But every time, for those particular some of the times. (Mortising, sanding, and maybe some hammer/mallet jobs, etc.)

I come from a power tool background, though, so I'm used to PPE and I'm trained to think of using it; even if the reason for it isn't immediately obvious.

I'm often bugged, too, by seeing How-To hosts not using safe practices. People will watch you work and will mimic you. Like it or not, that makes you a kind of teacher and it's irresponsible for you not to teach proper safe practices. Same for a lot of Youtubers. Don't title a video "How to Make a...", implying you're going to teach me how to do something, and then let see you not wearing eye protection while at the table saw. (Saw a guy weld in crocs once...immediately unsubscribed...)

I could take this opinion too far, of course; it can't entirely be on those in the spotlight. Woodworking is inherently dangerous and you'd be a fool to think otherwise and not take at least SOME personal responsibility for yourself and your own work. One thing the internet has taught me, though, is that there is a plethora of fools out there....

-Jake
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

With me normally no but I do wear working glasses most of the time due to tired old eyes.

Also with Purple heart, hickory or african mahogany. They have a lot of twisted grain so I wear glasses and I use lite strokes
    with a pretty heavy japanese hammer. IMO hard hits with a chisel is not the way to go at any time.

Sharpness is the way for me.

I also were glasses full time and I have a pair of safety specs with side protection dedicated to shop use. Even when I'm doing something that doesn't absolutely call for safety glasses, I tend to wear them anyway since my regular glasses were far more expensive...high def, progressive, Transitions, etc.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

If I’m using a powered tool, yes, and if the tool is loud I’d always use hearing protection. But working at the bench with hand tools, no.

As for video hosts or others displaying unsafe practices, nothing makes me crazier than actors in movies smoking and/or not using seat belts.