My new shop will have a wood floor with probably joists over a small crawl space. Not something I’d ever want to go down into to fix ducting. I’m thinking I’ll lay OSB with screws so they can be removed if I need to get to them from above.

So, having read most of Bill Pentz’ site and gone through the last 250 or so pages here at SMC, I’m at a crossroads. There are literally hundreds of dust collection posts, far outnumbering any other category, but there doesn’t seem to be much consistency. Pentz pretty much says put your ducts overhead. Otherwise, expect clogs or bulky material damaging the impeller. Not to mention possible fire hazard from high amounts of residual material in ducts. That option isn’t my best for several design reasons. Plus, in building a clear span structure w no internal posts, there’s no way I’m going to go anywhere but below to my central saw and jointer cluster.

Whats the real world experience, assuming good duct layout with a powerful motor such as a 5hp ClearVu and 6” ducts as close as possible to each tool?

One of my main concerns is the rise from the subfloor up to my DC intake.

Have others seen these problems? If I have a clog I can probably get to it to fix it but not interested in anything more serious.

Thanks much for any advice.

Jon