Thread: Panel Top Glue Up Question

Panel Top Glue Up Question

A curio cabinet project that my son is working on requires a 14" wide x 18.75" long top. it is being made out of white oak. The boards on hand are in the 6" wide range. For this top using the lumber shown, would you recommend a three piece glue up or ripping the 6" wide stock and alternating the growth rings (5 piece glue up)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would not consider the end grain orientation at all on an interior hardwood project.

To be honest I'd be most concerned about the narrow strip. It looks to me like the top surface (as oriented in the photo) was <3/4" from the pith. I'd find a way to place that along one of the edges instead of at the center of the glue-up. That way when it cups it won't cause the entire surface to "fold".

Connect the top to the sides in a way that precludes both warping and splitting, and all will be well.

Personally, I would look for wider boards and keep those 6” pieces for another project. Here in the desert of SoCal, I can regularly get 8” - 9” wide white oak boards. I would imagine that would be even easier for you guys to obtain.

Blog Entries
    I orient for appearance and have left the 'opposite ring pattern' thing behind long ago. I wouldn't hesitate to use the boards you have if they give the appearance you are after.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Orientate the boards for the most pleasing appearance. I assume that the grain will run across the width of the cabinet, and attach to the cabinet sides. That will maintain stability/prevent movement.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Apply finish equally to both sides of that top and it will help equalize the seasonal moisture changes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute