Thread: Electric Iron Temperature Control for Hammer Veneering

Electric Iron Temperature Control for Hammer Veneering

Can anyone advise on a way to closely control the temperature of an electric iron for use in hammer veneering? The lowest settings on the commercial irons I've used produce quite high temperatures, along with wide temperature swings between thermostat-on and -off points. I find this makes work on larger panels dicey.

It has crossed my mind to try using a router speed controller to limit the current to the iron, reasoning that this might limit the iron's temperature without damaging anything or starting a fire. But I'm not sure that I really know this would be effective and safe.

Alternatively, irons with better (continuously variable?) temperature controls than mine could exist and I just don't know about them. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

look at soldering stations and how they control the temp. what temp range do you need?
    Bill D

Good idea. I'm still looking at soldering stations and how they work. Ideal temperature for a hot-hide-glue pot is given as 140 degrees F. Low-temperature settings of commercial clothes irons apparently run 300 degrees F, give or take. I can sear hide-glue-infused veneer with my current iron at its lowest setting.

It strikes me that you might want your iron to reach a temperature somewhat higher than 140 degrees, due to the heat-sinking properties of the veneer and ground. Still, I'd be happy to start with something that heated to 140 degrees and was capable of then gradually increasing temperature from there as experience indicates.

Per google, clothes irons draw 800-2,000 Watts, which is a lot, and which is why a large-motor (router) controller initially came to mind.

Bob, curious if you've gotten it to work with the iron at all? My inconsistent results trying the same thing convinced me to get a vacuum press. Just wondering if you've figured it out how to get consistent adhesion across the piece.

Don't they just use a timer in the irons, no increase/decrease of temp of coil, just how long its on to regulate temp? I think it uses feedback from a thermometer to reach the temp in question. If I'm right, altering the incoming power to control the temp will run up against that system and it'll try to compensate. I may be wrong though.

Thus far I've had seemingly good results with larger panels by quickly hammering well-flattened panels down as well as I can with little or no ironing and letting the glue set up--without worrying about getting the panel perfectly flat. Later, if necessary, I take a damp rag, iron, and hammer to one problem area at a time, clamping the area flat overnight with a plywood caul if the veneer doesn't stay down with a little hammering and maybe some finger pressure. This can require some time and patience. I don't know that the procedure is ideal, as it seems that it could result in the glue getting too cool in some areas before hammering, creating weak spots. But it seems to be working for me.

I've found it seems to help to soften, size, and flatten the veneer and to size the ground. I've recently tried applying glue only to the ground and dampening the top of the veneer only after laying it in the (still warm) glue. This seems to work.

I should say that I've been working mainly with moderately figured mahogany veneer, which in my hands likes to bubble and curl when it gets warm and wet. Some of the above might well be unnecessary when laying straight grained material.

I want to do some cross banding, but it seems that is going to require more ironing than I've been doing. That's the reason for my interest in controlling iron temperature.

It seems to me, if iron temperature is controlled by a timer, then by reducing the current available to the iron it should be possible to limit the iron's maximum temperature. I don't know whether I'd expect this to reduce the sizes of the temperature swings enough to matter.

sealing iron for airplane fabric:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...oaAj9KEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    That's looks very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Looks very similar to the seaming iron for wall to wall carpet. Harbor freight sells one claims 145 -450 degree temp range.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UD2SRLO...a-320869243901
    L
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-15-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Looks very similar to the seaming iron for wall to wall carpet. Harbor freight sells one claims 145 -450 degree temp range.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UD2SRLO...a-320869243901
    L
    Also interesting. I do need to try one of these. Thanks.