Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Phillips, Craftsman, or Tool Salesman?

There have been many versions of modern commercials. Some here are too young to remember the Arthur Godfrey radio show. The commercials often consisted of Arthur and friends having a conversation about the wonderful product ."Yes
    Arthur , I'd love another glass of Mom Mitchell 's iced tea! "
    "here ya' go ....and my doctor says there's nothing better for you!!". It was on for hours almost every day!!

Don't want commercials? Drop broadcast and cable TV, buy a Roku and subscribe to streaming services. Those with no commercials.

Don't want product placement in shows? Take up reading books (and select carefully, as some authors have discovered product placement).
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Don't want commercials? Drop broadcast and cable TV, buy a Roku and subscribe to streaming services. Those with no commercials.

Don't want product placement in shows? Take up reading books (and select carefully, as some authors have discovered product placement).
    Even with Roku your going to struggle to get free it and your access is going to be drastically limited. I am in that camp. I am not opposed to commercial content Im just not willing to be w***d out. However if you want to see anything popular and mainstream (for whatever reason) your going to either pay, or see, something. My customers get NOTHING for nothing. Someone (and its not me generating revenue from thin air) has to pay my light bill and heat bill and machinery bill. I am willing to watch ad's and see uderwritten and sponsored content. Without it we'd all be sitting around farm tables, walking on dirt floors, reading only information disseminated down to us for free from the church.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I don't think I've seen it recently.
    Are you bragging, or complaining?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Even with Roku your going to struggle to get free it and your access is going to be drastically limited. I am in that camp. I am not opposed to commercial content Im just not willing to be w***d out. However if you want to see anything popular and mainstream (for whatever reason) your going to either pay, or see, something. My customers get NOTHING for nothing. Someone (and its not me generating revenue from thin air) has to pay my light bill and heat bill and machinery bill. I am willing to watch ad's and see uderwritten and sponsored content. Without it we'd all be sitting around farm tables, walking on dirt floors, reading only information disseminated down to us for free from the church.
    If, like the post I replied to, you don't want to watch commercials, you do have the option of quite mainstream streaming subscriptions. A bit of free content is around, but not much worthy programming. I don't think I made reference to a "free lunch" approach. It's like my Daddy used to say,

"It ain't always true that you get what you pay for, but you damned sure don't get what you don't pay for."

Silver tongued devil, he was.
    At least with streaming you can get away from the monstrous packages of paying for a LOT of channel you don't want. If you subscribe to Comcast or Time Warner or other very large CATV carriers, there are going to be a greater number of channels you don't watch than channels you do watch. You pay for 'em all. As long as you pay your bill, they don't much care if you watch any of 'em.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Amazon has been running ads for their original programming at the beginning of Prime videos.

There was a period there when EVERY project was made with a Kreg Jig. Not that I'm complaining about that. I've got one and it's useful in the right application. What bugged me was that he used so many screws! The edges were lined with holes. They were about 2 &1/2 inches apart on whatever he was joining. At that rate it would take 50-70 screws for a single kitchen cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    There was a period there when EVERY project was made with a Kreg Jig. Not that I'm complaining about that. I've got one and it's useful in the right application. What bugged me was that he used so many screws! The edges were lined with holes. They were about 2 &1/2 inches apart on whatever he was joining. At that rate it would take 50-70 screws for a single kitchen cabinet.
    Maybe he got a commission for every screw sold
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Complaining. Scott was not Norm, but I found his show to be entertaining. He found ways to accomplish things that I found to be innovative.
    I enjoy any woodworking show.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-26-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Marshall, I'm ambivalent on the advertising, on one hand I find it annoying as I don't need to know what tools are being used. On the other hand for novices it could be worthwhile information, they now know what tool was used and how much it cost.

As to your comment about the $2274.06 cost, last autumn I made a new bird feeder for the back yard, here's what I used

- wood from band saw mill

- Hammer A3-31 jointer planer

- Hammer B3 saw/shaper

- Oneida cyclone

Now if I add all that up I must have the world's most expensive bird feeder, however the above items have paid for themselves several times over.

Wood working can be an expensive hobby............Rod.
    Speaking as someone whose first post on this site was about using a laser engraver to make coasters, I applaud your economy.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Iand began bringing his wife (poor woman) into the mix.

If you want to go down the road of the wood whisperer and others who are willing to build their brand by selling themselves in any way needed to populate your shop
    +1 on both points.

I don't watch his show (sponsored by WC, I think). No doubt his wife feels proud to help out, but unless a family member is an expert or acclaimed practitioner in her or his own right, don't get her or him involved on a regular basis.

Wood Whisperer bills himself as a content producer, meaning his target is the mass (read: mostly beginners) and not those with advanced knowledge and skills. I did not know he runs a show.

Interestingly, I just came across a social medium in which Paul Sellers labels himself as an amateur woodworker. He is not sponsored by anyone.

To answer the OP's question, he is a woodworker (not a craftsman) first and a tool salesman second.
    Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 04-28-2018 at 7:40 PM.

I agree with Simon, unless your family member has some special skill, their appearances should be infrequent.

That said, one of my favourite Roy Underhill episodes of the Woodwright's Shop was one involving his daughter. They had a wonderful dynamic, it was a special episode...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Wood Whisperer bills himself as a content producer, meaning his target is the mass (read: mostly beginners) and not those with advanced knowledge and skills. I did not know he runs a show.

Interestingly, I just came across a social medium in which Paul Sellers labels himself as an amateur woodworker. He is not sponsored by anyone.
    I think you will find that his over-the-top promotion grates on more than a few people and his ratings slip.... There is a fine balance to be struck between "just right" and "annoying over the top.." Wanna bet that Rob Crosman sells 3x as much woodcraft zoot by simply showing people how to do stuff right and then hosting classes where he teaches you how to make stuff with their tools. .

On Paul Sellers... "Amateur" status in his case means "Lover of" in contrast to a Professional... A paid professional makes what the client wants... And honestly, most furniture clients don't really want free tutorials on sharpening plane irons or a series on chopping mortises with various types of chisels as opposed to say a nice highboy or a set of kitchen cabinets.... But I must admit - Paul probably holds the singular honor of best promoter and salesman of Aldi chisels in the entire universe... I sure hope he is getting some sort of royalty out of them.... If not - Ashley Iles needs to start paying that man money to quietly recommend their fine chisels - you know... If you want to upgrade from your Aldi chisels and all...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    But I must admit - Paul probably holds the singular honor of best promoter and salesman of Aldi chisels in the entire universe... I sure hope he is getting some sort of royalty out of them.... If not - Ashley Iles needs to start paying that man money to quietly recommend their fine chisels - you know... If you want to upgrade from your Aldi chisels and all...
    Royalty from a chisel deal sold at grocery store?

Given his social media following, he can make a lot of money by selling almost anything including...stickers

Simon

Blog Entries
    Wow, a lot of vitriol here. I do not agree, I enjoy his show. I can identify with him.