Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Phillips, Craftsman, or Tool Salesman?

I wasn't familiar with Scott so I picked one of his videos to watch and see what your guys were talking about. I chose this 8:44 minute video on making a round box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hIAVbwideA

IN that short video I added up the costs for the product placements and they came to $2274.06 and that didn't include the Jet Band saw which he highlighted but for some reason didn't include the price. Pretty expensive tooling for a simple little box.

I found his wife just as bland and boring as he is.

So, how dod I get someone to sponsor me so that I'll have a full shop of tools?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I wasn't familiar with Scott so I picked one of his videos to watch and see what your guys were talking about. I chose this 8:44 minute video on making a round box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hIAVbwideA

IN that short video I added up the costs for the product placements and they came to $2274.06 and that didn't include the Jet Band saw which he highlighted but for some reason didn't include the price. Pretty expensive tooling for a simple little box.

That was a paid commercial for Woodcraft to demonstrate certain tools and techniques. If you are wanting someone to sponsor you, then you need to quit criticizing him and create yourself a following so that potential sponsors will want to use you as a vehicle for their products. Unless you want to be a professional critic, in which case your list of potential sponsors might be limited to purveyors of sour grapes, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Lets not get too worked up about this. Not sure if you noticed but this is the way the whole world works now.
    Watching hockey game. These are some of the advertisers in constant view on TV broadcast:
    I think the difference in the scenario is that this sort of stuff, while pretty much expected on commercial programming, has not traditionally been the norm on public broadcasting (for very good reason). Even people who dont really put the underwritting vs advertising thing together realize there is something off when they see such things on PBS.

Every operation needs money to run thats a given and PB is no different but being a non profit has some very nice caveats for the viewer in that underwritting guidelines as opposed to commercial advertisers have completely different rules. Many people say on PBS they just pack the ads in at the begging and end, but if you look at the rules for underwitting the "ad's" are completely different. They are bound by very specific rules with regards to what can be said, how it can be said, length, and so on. They simply can not air an underwritting spot that is an in-you-face "pitch" to a customer to buy your product. All of the underwritting spots are much more benign as compared to anything you see on commercial TV which IMHO is fantastic.

I like that. And I generally like (though the individual in the subject of the thread seems to finagle around it quite a bit) that the personalities on the programs are substantially less biased in their delivery and program content because they influenced far less than they normally would be in commercial programming. It still happens though for sure. For instance I found it very interesting that Martha Stewarts show on PBS was offering a LOT of middle eastern dishes which I had never seen her make. I loved the offering because I love middle eastern food. Then I noticed that her show was being underwritten by AlJezera I believe. Which again I thought was wonderful but gave reason for the direction of the episodes. I had never seen her prepare these dishes before.

Not having commercial TV makes it a bit more glaring it seems. I enjoy watching Nascar myself and do notice the heavy advertising but as you say, thats the way that sport has always been. Something I find very interesting there is that they have enough clout to keep the race running in a picture in picture during the ads. I would have thought advertisers would rail against that. Great to see an area where the consumer still has some teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That was a paid commercial for Woodcraft to demonstrate certain tools and techniques. If you are wanting someone to sponsor you, then you need to quit criticizing him and create yourself a following so that potential sponsors will want to use you as a vehicle for their products. Unless you want to be a professional critic, in which case your list of potential sponsors might be limited to purveyors of sour grapes, for example.
    Good points Barry.

But I was just joking about wanting a sponsor. I am more of a blogger type and no one wants to sponsor something like a blog. Everyone is into Youtube videos and I have a radio face so I won't look good in videos.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post

Hi Marshall, I'm ambivalent on the advertising, on one hand I find it annoying as I don't need to know what tools are being used. On the other hand for novices it could be worthwhile information, they now know what tool was used and how much it cost.

As to your comment about the $2274.06 cost, last autumn I made a new bird feeder for the back yard, here's what I used

- wood from band saw mill

- Hammer A3-31 jointer planer

- Hammer B3 saw/shaper

- Oneida cyclone

Now if I add all that up I must have the world's most expensive bird feeder, however the above items have paid for themselves several times over.

Wood working can be an expensive hobby............Rod.

All interesting comments from a bunch of woodworkers. If I was pitching a show I'd pay attention to this valuable feedback.
    We're a group of viewers and potential consumers. I think we'd pay more attention if the craftsperson just did good work. Unless the tool or machine was new to the market or custom made we would know the equipment and appreciate its performance. Someone who's sponsored or pushes a brand will be treated skeptically by most consumers. Pointing out the brand name is a turnoff!
    To stand out in a marketplace, be unique. Imagine a Nascar car that shows up unbranded. With no stickers. Viewers would notice it right away. You'd have there attention and stand out from the crowd. People would Google the car to get more details.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Yes Rod, I agree this isn't a cheap hobby.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Somebody has to admit it, so....

I think it is kinda funny to watch shows hawk their wares, but I must say that this is probably the only way I would get to see new tools in action, like plunge routers, track saws, the Domino etc.

I remember when Norm actually used a Shopsmith and a Craftsman RAS on his show.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The RAS held till the end but for sure the shop Smith was a fleeting endeavour. Lol

The RAS wasn't a Craftsman after the first seasons though, but a Delta turreted model. Norm was certainly a tool huckster but he was more graceful about it than Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The RAS wasn't a Craftsman after the first seasons though, but a Delta turreted model. Norm was certainly a tool huckster but he was more graceful about it than Scott.
    Yup. The New Yankee Workshop jumped the shark when the Timesavers wide belt sander arrived.

Norm admitted from the start that he was a power tool junkie. And the camera had a knack for including the manufacturers logo in the close up. Subtle? no, but not bludgeoning either. PBS brand placement has changed since the French Chef had masking tape over the mustard bottle with the clearly identifiable shape. PBS and NPR have become more commercial than they used to be and I think the quality has improved. I suspect that member contributions are not keeping up with costs.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    I suspect that member contributions are not keeping up with costs.
    Chuck
    I think its a combination of everything. The ever numbing of the average American, a steady attack on federal and local funds, and of course a good bit of creep on the administrative level. They are actually competing quite well with commercial networks that have them out funded multiple fold and federal dollars are WAY down. So of course. They have to keep their offering current and fresh.

I wish their funding were more stable as they are across the board about as non-commercial as you can get. From news to programming content.

Cant blame anyone for chasing the buck. If I had some gold paint manufacturer dangling a quarter million dollars of equipment and backing in front of me I'd likely be hook-in-cheek and whispering at wood myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I think its a combination of everything. The ever numbing of the average American, a steady attack on federal and local funds, and of course a good bit of creep on the administrative level. They are actually competing quite well with commercial networks that have them out funded multiple fold and federal dollars are WAY down. So of course. They have to keep their offering current and fresh.

I wish their funding were more stable as they are across the board about as non-commercial as you can get. From news to programming content.

Cant blame anyone for chasing the buck. If I had some gold paint manufacturer dangling a quarter million dollars of equipment and backing in front of me I'd likely be hook-in-cheek and whispering at wood myself.
    I agree, funding for public broadcasters is becoming ever more important, both for content that's not commercially viable as well as a counterpoint to fake news organizations.

I'm lucky, we have CBC, TVO and I can receive PBS Buffalo from across the border............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I always enjoyed his show when I could get it. I don't think I've seen it recently.