Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scott Phillips, Craftsman, or Tool Salesman?

"Always read, follow and understand all the safety instructions that come with your tools. Okay, now safety glasses on, hearing protection in place, and of course turn on that dust collection system. Okay, ready to go! Now be sure to use these holding clamps, wouldn't want that piece to move and hurt someone. All safety guards in place. Put these grippers to use to keep your hands away from the blade. Okay, now we can make that cut."
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Wow, a lot of vitriol here. I do not agree, I enjoy his show. I can identify with him.
    I agree with you Lowell, I enjoy his show, I see absolutely nothing offensive about it. The guy is making a living doing something I think we'd all like to do.
    This thread makes we think we're becoming a bunch of crabby old men.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    " Put these grippers to use"
    A real quote from his show or just joking?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Royalty from a chisel deal sold at grocery store?

Given his social media following, he can make a lot of money by selling almost anything including...stickers

Simon
    My friend - I would not be surprised to find out that those Aldi chisels are the #1 selling chisels in the USA and UK... And that would be mostly due to Paul recommending them... I would not have bought a set of them except for his recommendation... No doubt almost everybody on SMC has at least 1 set of the things - even if they ended up with them as a gift.... Try and say that about any other single specific brand tool....

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I agree with you Lowell, I enjoy his show, I see absolutely nothing offensive about it. The guy is making a living doing something I think we'd all like to do.
    This thread makes we think we're becoming a bunch of crabby old men.
    Im not crabby lol. And Im always happy to see any woodwork programming period, its just the flagrance of it. It completely dilutes any content. I will not deny that I just dont enjoy his personality/delivery at all and it comes off extremely poorly to me but as people say change the channel. There are the same comments about anyone and everyone. There have been extensive threads here and elsewhere with regards to people not liking Tommy MacDonalds Massachusetts accent/schtick, I have read posts where people honestly feel that Norm Abrahms knew/knows nothing about woodworking and construction and is just a talking head for the show (which is ludicrous, the guy is anything but a tv personality and I apprenticed with people who apprenticed with Norm and Rich when they were in their teens).

The issue with the person in question here is just a seemingly excessive amount of branding for direct personal gain which I completely agree with on commercial TV or Youtube. Go the woodwhisperer route all you want, know little to nothing about the trade, be good with social media branding, and make your millions.

That should have no place on Public Broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I agree with Simon, unless your family member has some special skill, their appearances should be infrequent.

That said, one of my favourite Roy Underhill episodes of the Woodwright's Shop was one involving his daughter. They had a wonderful dynamic, it was a special episode...........Regards, Rod.
    One of my favorites is the one where his daughters band was on playing songs. I guess I could be upset with Roy's attempt to gain some exposure and sell some of his daughters CD's but even though I rarely work with hand tools and have never made a thing shown on his program, the guy is untouchable to me. Its a perfect contrast to a true craftsman as compared to the OP's show in question.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    My friend - I would not be surprised to find out that those Aldi chisels are the #1 selling chisels in the USA and UK... And that would be mostly due to Paul recommending them... I would not have bought a set of them except for his recommendation... No doubt almost everybody on SMC has at least 1 set of the things - even if they ended up with them as a gift.... Try and say that about any other single specific brand tool....
    just to increase your level of doubt - I don't have any and I had never even heard of them until this thread! I guess I need to get out more....

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    just to increase your level of doubt - I don't have any and I had never even heard of them until this thread! I guess I need to get out more....
    ^ this. Chisels sold in a grocery store I've never seen and barely recognize the name of?
    Had to google it, nearest one is 12 miles away. Driving 12 miles for groceries is filed under "not gonna happen".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Me too. Never heard of them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Me neither, never heard of em.

Blog Entries
    No doubt almost everybody on SMC has at least 1 set of the things
    Aldi has no stores here in the Northwest:

Aldi Locations.jpg

This is a map showing the number of stores in various regions. If they were available near me, a set would have likely been purchased just to check them out.

Driving 12 miles for groceries is filed under "not gonna happen".
    We have a choice, drive about 10 miles to a small town independent grocer or about 12 miles to the Fred Meyer store in town. We always opt to go into Longview since there are other stores where we shop when in town. We chose to live in an area where the average home is on 5 acres or more. The downside is during heavy weather the road into town might get blocked for a day or two. That can lead to a long drive to the coast to do some shopping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

12. Ooops!

<rant>

Well, I've heard of 'em. A couple of posts by Paul Sellers and a whole lot of debate about the qualities of their steel in sharpening threads here; some folks think they're okay, others turn up their noses. No one around here thinks they are great chisels. Like all sharpening threads, they tend to degenerate into a whole string of soliloquies. A lot of the folks get squeezed into the cheap seats to watch as the elite pontificate endlessly past one another, turning themselves into modern recreations of the "nattering nabobs of negativism."

I don't have any Aldi chisels. If someone gave me a set, I'd pass 'em on to a young fella here who is trying to do woodworking without enough tools; he could use 'em even if they don't hold an edge very long. And maybe he'll make something nice for his gal or maybe his mom. His dad would be impressed and proud. I think Aldi chisels would be good enough for that.

In the meantime, IMHO, there's no real point to throwing rocks at Paul Sellers or Roy Underhill or Norm Abrams or Chris Schwarz except to demonstrate just how jealous one is of someone making a living at woodworking and related marketing. And when there's criticism of all the repeated and boring safety warnings, it would be well to remember that these are national and international in scope, directed at aspirants and weekend warriors who "know they can do that." Few of these things are intended for experienced woodworkers; they target mass markets and either inspire new entrants or entertain the curious. Why are you watching Sellers or Abrams in the first place? You should be in the shop building something, not watching TV or videos.

</rant>

Edit: Well, I got so caught up in my rant that I went too fast and botched the quote of our esteemed former Vice President and crook. The correct quote should read "nattering nabobs of negativity." My apologies to the legacy of Mr. Vice President Agnew.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 05-02-2018 at 3:24 PM. Reason: To correct the quote
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron