Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Magazines - How many of your subscribe to any?

Woodworking Magazines - How many of your subscribe to any?

Do you subscribe to any woodworking magazines?

If so which ones do you subscribe to and are they print versions or on-line?

I subscribe to two - Wood Magazine and Woodsmith. I have become somewhat unsure if I will continue Woodsmith. Since Shop Notes was discontinued and sort of rolled into Woodsmith along with less appealing projects I am on the fence about the next renewal.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have an electronic subscription to Fine Woodworking and that's it. I download and read it on my iPad.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Wood and wwj for me. I like $10 sub not $32.

FWW & WOOD here, George.

I’ve had a FWW subscription almost since the inception of the magazine. I also recently subscribed to Wood and Popular Woodworking, mostly because they were too good a deal to pass up. All three are print, but with FWW and PWW you get the electronic version along with the print edition.

I too get Wood and have almost every issue of Woodsmith.

I subscribe to FWW primarily because of subscription through grandchildrens’ fundraisers. A lot of FWW projects have become too much “artsy” for my tastes. I’ve lost my interest in it lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    A lot of FWW projects have become too much “artsy” for my tastes.
    I agree Ralph. Overall, I still enjoy the mag, though.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I stopped subscribing to magazines a number of years ago. The last was Fine Woodworking which I liked, but even it was getting way too redundant over past material...which is a major issue with "activity focused" magazines like this.

Oh, Ok...I get Woodshop News, but it's more of a trade advertising rag than a "magazine" and is free to me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWW in print form for me. I still learn cool stuff and get good ideas for projects looking at the pictures,not always the plans in the mag. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I have an electronic subscription to Fine Woodworking and that's it. I download and read it on my iPad.
    Ditto ... In a way, I feel like YouTube has somewhat displaced the magazines as the “go to” for learning and getting new ideas.

I don't subscribe to any but I'm the Saskatchewan Woodworkers' Guild Librarian so I skim a half dozen or so each month. Rarely do I find an article that I stop and read. I stopped my FWW subscription about 8ish years ago because the articles had less and less written content and more repetition. Sort of like a title of Cutting Dovetails With A Butterknife. Then a paragraph header of Cutting Dovetails With A Butterknife. On the page was Cutting Dovetails With A Butterknife and then a paragraph with Cutting Dovetails With A Butterknife few extra lines barely saying how. Finally there would be a captioned picture of Cutting Dovetails With A Butterknife. Got tired of the "Windows" like presentation layout and no actual information to read. With the advent of more youtube videos the magazines have even less. I compared the number of pages in the last FWW against one of the issues 20 years ago and there were 20 pages less and 25% fewer feature articles but a few more Departments.

FWW in print for me. I'm not much interested in the articles on museum/art quality projects, guess I'm too practical to appreciate working 20 weeks building an intricate Japanese screen for a small storage cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Oh, Ok...I get Woodshop News, but it's more of a trade advertising rag than a "magazine" and is free to me.
    I get Woodshop News, too; I like the finishing articles and sometimes the feature article on the cabinet shop of the month is interesting. I have subscribed to just about every other ww'ing magazine out there, but FWW is the only one I still get. I had a bunch of Woodworking Journal and Woodsmith in binders, but gave them away when I moved; the newest ones were probably 20 years old. I have nearly a complete set of FWW and yes, it does sometimes (often?) get redundant, but I do get some ideas from it as well. I also use the on-line index often to look for a particular topic and and pull the relevant issues off the shelf.

I still subscribe to FWW and PopWood. Both are good mags, although very little of the build content is meaningful to me - I prefer to design my own pieces and draw up my own plans. I do like looking for ideas and appreciate those of others. I also like looking at the techniques. There is always something new to learn ... even when one feels comfortable.

Much of the content is aimed at intermediates, and it gets a bit monotonous. After 20+ years of membership, it is hard to break the habit and sense of family. In the grand scheme of things, the cost is miniscule, and the bonus is that with 3 minutes reading in bed, I am fast asleep!

Regards from Perth

Derek