Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescription safety glasses

I wear progressives. As a carpenter I wanted safety glasses for work. I got a wrap around plastic safety glass with a optical insert (metal frame mounts on four small posts and held in place with a rubber nose piece). I have a dark pair and clear pair. The great thing is when the safety lenses get scratched up they are only 12 bucks to replace. The important part (prescription) is protected behind them. My wife says I look like "Bubbles ''. O well I can see great and my eyes are protected.Mike.

I wear tri-focals and will have cataract surgery shortly. If I have any concern about what I'm doing--lathe or table saw--I keep the face shield handy
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have about four pair of Rx safety glasses. Teaching shop, I always had two pair at school, and the older ones went home. Polycarbonate lenses and Z81 rated frames with clip on side shields, progressive lenses. I still wear them 100% of the time in the shop. I checked with Costco, where I get my regular glasses, and they don't do safety glasses, but I think Wal Mart does. Next time I get new regular glasses I will probably take the Rx to Wal Mart along with a couple of frames and have them fit polycarbonate lenses to them. Unfortunately Costco told me they wouldn't fit lenses into any safety glasses frames.

I pay less than $200 for eye exam, and safety glasses at Walmart. The Walmart ones are better than the $$$$ from eye place across town.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Cheap safety glass are pretty much a shop staple and are absolutely up to the task. Really, what do they need to do to be safe?
    The question was about prescription safety glasses. But in answer to your question they need to be ANSI certified if they are in a box of a dozen. Yes they can be inexpensive and safe. But I wouldn't trust my eyes to safety glasses from the dollar store.

I really like Honeywell Titmus prescription safety frames (which claim to meet ANSI Z87.1 standard), which are available from several online sources. I wear mine 16 hours/day (mostly without, I'm afraid, the side-shields they came with). Seems to me I've paid something over $200 for a pair with simple bifocal lenses. A potential problem with them is that the more stylish frames with smaller lenses are less effective against objects coming from off angles. I think I will order my next pair with large, aviator-style frames.

That said, if your only problem is presbyopia, you can put stick-on reading lenses on those wrap-around safety glasses with soft nose pieces they have at Lowes and Home Depot and have a fine pair of impact-resistant bifocals for around $30. I have a clear pair of these and a tinted pair.

FYI: Zeni does not carry safety glasses for some reason, but they are the cheapest around for regular glasses.
    Bill D.

Before I retired, I wore my shop safeties with side shields which were progressive lens. Now I wear my regular frame w/ progressive lens with a Uvex OTG (over the glasses)
    safeties. These have excellent clarity and wrap around my regular frames very nicely and provide protection against flying debri from all sides. https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S2500C-A...safety+glasses
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 04-15-2018 at 12:42 AM.

I have an RX pair I got at Walmart 5 or 6 years ago, They are in a safety glasses frame that kinda wrap around. not like the ones that look like regular glasses with side shields attached. Not sure how much I paid but think they were less than $100.
    If I think about it I will take a pic of them Monday. I have them at work.
    That said, I use this over the glasses pair now. About a year ago I had to get progressive RX glasses and have trouble reading prints through my RX safety glasses. Next time I get my eye exam I do plan to get a new pair from Walmart.
    The advantage with the cheap pair from HD , I can keep a pair by each tool like a bench grinder and by my weed trimmer stored in different shop/ shed.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Clear-Frame-with-Clear-Lenses-Over-the-Glass-Eyewear-47110-WV24/300246523

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-15-2018 at 12:57 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Before I got lasik, I got my work to pay for some prescription safety glasses. I got them from Wiley-X, because they were reasonably fashionable and worked for mountain biking too. Just an option for brand to look at. This was 10-12 years ago but it looks like they carry more glasses now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I wear tri-focals and will have cataract surgery shortly. If I have any concern about what I'm doing--lathe or table saw--I keep the face shield handy
    There's a chance you will no longer need corrective lenses once you have your surgery, Mike...my father was able to take advantage of that when he had his done. When they replaced the lens, it was "corrected" to normal vision in the eye.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For most things I am ashamed to say that I just use my regular glasses. The bad part of this is that I also have prescription safety glasses sitting right there on the shelf for easy access. Don't ask me why I don't use them because I have no answer to that question, not even a bad answer. As for a cheap place to get them? I get one free pair of glasses annually from the VA and that would include safety glasses if I chose them. If I want an additional pair, the cost is modest.

Wayne

I'm one of those with a large head (7¾) and also wear bi-focal prescription glasses. I wanted safety glasses that could be worn over my regular glasses (wrap around styles don't work very well) and purchased Elvex OVR-Spec Safety Glasses several years ago. Here is a link: https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/elv...th-clear-lens/ For those with a large noggin, these work.

I get mine at Wal-mart for $90. That's without an exam; because I go to an ophthalmologist each year anyway for my regular checkup. They have side shields and are ANSI certified.

I use them whenever working in the shop, around the house or in the yard. If nothing else, getting dirt/paint/etc. on them is much less expensive than if I damage my normal glasses which cost a lot more.

Ditto for Walmart. I buy my prescription glasses at Costco but they don't do safety glasses. I buy basic safety frames and bi-focal lenses at Walmart for around $100 here in northwest washington.