Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking....

Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking....

I just watched the premiere episode of Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking. I enjoyed Tom McLaughlin's style. I think I can learn from him.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I just watched the premiere episode of Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking. I enjoyed Tom McLaughlin's style. I think I can learn from him.
    Is this for members only or is it a link available to all?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What's the project in the first episode?

Jim, its a regular program on PBS affiliated TV stations.

I am not sure if it's a member only item. Let's see if this link will work

http://www.finewoodworking.com/rough...&mid=369629537 .

Dave, it's a shaker inspired cherry hall table with tapered legs.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken.

Did you get the plans for it from the FWW site?

Nice instructive video and nice table design but he didn't talk about making allowance for wood expansion in the top. I'm guessing the screw hole were slightly oversized which is probably all that is required for a top that narrow, but surprised he didn't mention it.

The video was featured in the FWW weekly newsletter.

I found a couple of things interesting, one was the sponsoring of the show by Felder Group AND SCM.. Was kind of interested to see a sliding table saw in action on a TV woodworking show, but was somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed to see the slider used more like a traditional cabinet saw than a slider.

He did mention in passing that the holes in the long aprons are a bit over size

I can get PBS Detroit and Seattle on the dish and it ain’t on either. One of them has a 2015 episode on on the 23rd but nothing of the new show. Guess I am out of luck unless they start showing it later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    He did mention in passing that the holes in the long aprons are a bit over size
    I must have missed it, I went back and couldn't find that comment.

He also made the following comment in a blog post on Fine Woodworking's site announcing the episode.

As for the wood movement issue. The screws at each end, in the center of the short rail don’t move at all. While the three screws along the long rails run in through holes that are reamed out a bit from side to side to accommodate for the minimal movement. With this arrangement, the top will only move from the center or the width out to the rail, approximately a 7” span. The reamed holes are more than enough to take care of that, even moving to a high humidity area.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    The video was featured in the FWW weekly newsletter.

I found a couple of things interesting, one was the sponsoring of the show by Felder Group AND SCM.. Was kind of interested to see a sliding table saw in action on a TV woodworking show, but was somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed to see the slider used more like a traditional cabinet saw than a slider.
    I was also disappointed that the slider was barely used as a slider. Why put a crosscut sled on a slider when the slider itself excels at doing crosscuts? If you're going to do that, then at the very minimum point out to the viewer that you're using a cabinet saw-style technique since more people have those compared to sliders.

Another thing I didn't like was Tom chiseling without wearing eye protection.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Thanks for the video link.

I can understand why he used a crosscut sled on the sliding saw, because most viewers use the traditional cabinet/contractor saws.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I am not sure if it's a member only item. Let's see if this link will work

http://www.finewoodworking.com/rough...&mid=369629537 .

Dave, it's a shaker inspired cherry hall table with tapered legs.

Thanks for sharing that link. Enjoyed watching the video. Never seen pocket holes made that way. I'll stick to my Kreg jig.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution