Thread: Bought a Large Oak Plank . How do I keep it from checking?

Bought a Large Oak Plank . How do I keep it from checking?

I bought a large wide air dried plank of red oak. I probably shouldnt have as its too wide to get in my basement. It seems to be checking a little, anything besides sealing the ends that can help? I hope to seal it today. Thank you

Blog Entries
    Just how big is this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Just how big is this thing?
    Its 26" wide 8ft long and 2 inch thick

If it's already air dried, I think you should be in good shape. I have run some 3" thick red oak (air dried 15MC) through a kiln I had, brought it down to 8MC without any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Miguel View Post
    I bought a large wide air dried plank of red oak. I probably shouldnt have as its too wide to get in my basement. It seems to be checking a little, anything besides sealing the ends that can help? I hope to seal it today. Thank you
    Did it come to you checked, or have you actually observed checks growing?

I ask because if the wood was truly air dried it should be good and stable by now, in which case the checking you see probably happened during the drying process and nothing you do now will have any impact. It can't hurt to seal the ends though.

If on the other hand you've actually seen checks develop, then it wasn't truly dry when you bought it, and you need to dry it yourself. Sealing the ends is a good first step, you should also store it with all 4 sides exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Did it come to you checked, or have you actually observed checks growing?

I ask because if the wood was truly air dried it should be good and stable by now, in which case the checking you see probably happened during the drying process and nothing you do now will have any impact. It can't hurt to seal the ends though.

If on the other hand you've actually seen checks develop, then it wasn't truly dry when you bought it, and you need to dry it yourself. Sealing the ends is a good first step, you should also store it with all 4 sides exposed.
    Thank you for your response. It did have a little when I bought it but is seems to have a little more. I sealed the ends yesterday. I may wind up selling it as I bought it on impulse and really dont have the room. It would make a great workbench top

Is it significantly drier where you are located than where the board was dried?

You have to take into consideration the conditions at the place where it was air dried and the conditions where you are. Also did the drier have it drying long enough so that it truly dried?

When was it milled? 8/4 oak is one of the slowest drying domestic species and usually requires a couple of years of air drying.

The fact that surface checks are opening up is an indicator that the slab is still green.

Also, end sealer is only effective is applied within 3 days of a fresh cut. If you have end checks developing, trim a couple of inches off of the ends of the slab and apply end sealer.

Thank you for all the help so far.....I probably should not have bought this plank right now as I am involved in some other projects that don't require such a plank.. I will continue to treat it well and see where I go from here