Thread: small rasp recommendations?

small rasp recommendations?

I started with various flea market rasps, than bought two Dragon rasps which are worlds better.

But I find the triangular shape and overall size doesn't work too well in some situations (fitting into small spaces in general, and trying to file flat and straight in a small space.) My use cases are shaping, beveling, and round overs on some inside curves, and finalizing the insides of lap joints.

What would be a good, small (4 to 6 inches long, less than 1 inch wide), flat, rectangular, rasp, not super fine, ideally under $50? (In general the files this small I see are extremely fine toothed.)

My favorites are ones that I got at HF with orange handles for next to nothing. I have older USA made nicholsons as well but favor the HF ones. It comes in a pack with a 3/4 inch flat one, about 7 inches long I think, along with a round and maybe a triangle, the flat one is the only one I actually use.

Just to be clear are you looking for a Rasp or a File? In terms of Rasps it might be worth looking into Sculptors tools there are all manners of shapes, sizes and cuts on those.

Glardon/Vallorbe are usually good quality throughout their entire productline though depending on source not the cheapest. Pferd are cheaper and I've had no problems with them, F.Dick are also highly regarded for their Files in Germany not sure if they carry rasps.

Alex, take a look at Iwasaki. Sometimes listed as Iwasaki Carving Files. Woodcraft online and other places have them. I have about 6 or them. They are rasps that have teeth shaped sort of like files. They cut beautifully. So well that I have put off 3 times buying the Ariou or Liogier (please forgive my butchery of French names here guys) hand made rasps. I'm certain I'll love the French rasps but haven't felt compelled to buy them (yet).

Also, for some of what you describe (eg, finalizing lapjoints) a small block plane could be a good add to your kit. Look at either those or violin maker's planes which are far smaller. Just another idea that might help you.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’ll second Fred’s suggestion of Iwasaki. Woodcraft happened to have them on sale one day I was in looking around and picked up a few. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they cut.

Blog Entries
    Another happy Iwasaki user her. The 3/8" x 8" extra fine does a lot of work for me. The 3/4" x 10" flat and half round do almost everything else. My hand stitched rasps enjoy hanging in the rack looking pretty more often than not ;-) Lee Valley seems to have the best price on them; especially with free shipping during those events.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'll also recommend Iwasaki tools. I have a whole raft of them and they are really useful. They are not true rasps - but are cut more like plane floats - sort of a cross between a rasp and file. The coarse ones cut aggressively while leaving a smooth finish. The finer ones are great for finessing that last bit before finishing. Wonderful tools, wide selection of shapes, and reasonable cost.

The only thing I've had a problem with is rust. All files and rasps can be prone to rust if they aren't cared for, but I've had a couple of Iwasakis rust on me despite my best efforts. They still seem to work all right, but their lifespan may be a bit shorter...

TedP

Alex,

The first place I look is Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood. For example stock #51W02.01.Or, you could search for "rasp" in their on-line catalog.

Dude, wait until you try out my Pechar rasps.

I think everyone here should try it.
    It beats the pants of every other wood rasp that I've tried (including Auriou old stock).
    They're somewhat of a hidden gem in my book...only the hallowed violin makers seem to know about it:
    https://maestronet.com/forum/index.p...-pechar-rasps/

They're definitely Stan quality, but not all that expensive IMHO.
    His prices are the same as 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Alex, take a look at Iwasaki. Sometimes listed as Iwasaki Carving Files. Woodcraft online and other places have them. I have about 6 or them. They are rasps that have teeth shaped sort of like files. They cut beautifully. So well that I have put off 3 times buying the Ariou or Liogier (please forgive my butchery of French names here guys) hand made rasps. I'm certain I'll love the French rasps but haven't felt compelled to buy them (yet).

Also, for some of what you describe (eg, finalizing lapjoints) a small block plane could be a good add to your kit. Look at either those or violin maker's planes which are far smaller. Just another idea that might help you.

Fred
    Thanks! Never seen a block plane small enough to fit in a 1" joint...though I think the "right" tool for the job is a parring chisel, I'm just not quite ready to acquire that skill yet and the rasps have multiple uses to me right now.

Will have a look at iwasaki, seem to have a variety of sizes and the prices aren't too insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Dude, wait until you try out my Pechar rasps.

I think everyone here should try it.
    It beats the pants of every other wood rasp that I've tried (including Auriou old stock).
    They're somewhat of a hidden gem in my book...only the hallowed violin makers seem to know about it:
    https://maestronet.com/forum/index.p...-pechar-rasps/

They're definitely Stan quality, but not all that expensive IMHO.
    His prices are the same as 2013.
    Thanks Matt! I have to ask - who is Stan? Seen him mentioned in a few threads but I'm a bit confused. An importer?

Got lost following your link, is there a place to buy those or see the prices in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Liebert View Post
    Thanks Matt! I have to ask - who is Stan? Seen him mentioned in a few threads but I'm a bit confused. An importer?

Got lost following your link, is there a place to buy those or see the prices in the USA?
    I assume he means Stan Covington, an American craftsman based in Japan, who is a respected participant here. Matt has purchased some Japanese tools from him and gotten phenomenal stuff.

The Pechar link didnt work for me either and I couldnt find another link that had prices - only pics.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The Corradi Gold 6" 10 grain is a mini version of the Auriou cabinetmakers rasps, but at $80 delivered to US, pretty pricey. That said, essentially a smaller cabinetmaker's rasp and very useful in my shop. The three cabinetmakers files shown above the 9" Auriou 10 grain and the 6" Corradi Gold 10 grain are useful for tight curves...the 6" Swiss pattern is a nice combination of shape and size, and is fast cutting in the 00 cut.

IMG_6679 copy.jpg

Stan Covington. Yup. He's reshaped how I think about quality.

http://www.pechar-rasps.com/en/rasps-files/products/
    Here's the website.
    I think you should email him for prices.