Thread: Laser distance from walls

Laser distance from walls

My LC6090 G. Weike laser arrived and I am putting it in my 10' x 20' workshop shed. I am hoping to tuck it as close to the wall as possible. Will it overheat if it's too close to the wall? Recommended distance away from the walls? I have a chiller and a blower as well.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if theres a recommended distance from a wall, but think it its a good idea to leave enough room to walk behind it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I've never heard heat as a concern, but Bert is right. There will (eventually) be times you need to get to different areas of the machine. For instance focusing the mirrors, putting in the rotary (in my machine at least), checking the controller or power supply, changing a tube etc etc.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I have 15 computer controlled machines crammed into our house and garage, the only one NOT jammed against the wall is the fiber. No problem with overheat. If I have to work on them (rare, thankfully), I do whatever I have to do.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Mine is as close to the wall as possible and no problems. I just unlock the casters and pull it out if I have to get behind it.

My Trotec is about 8" from the wall. No problems. It's on casters if I need to move it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My Epilog is about 12” only because the 4” exhaust has to bend there. It’s been in that spot since 2007, and I have never had to access the back, though I have changed the tube, a motor, and several mirrors and lenses. They are all accessible from the front or top.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The feedback is much appreciated. After quite the fight, finally got the laser in my shed shop today. I was curious what you guys thought about mounting the chiller and blower on the walls to save space in my small shop. Here is an image of what I'm thinking or something along the lines of this:
    laser set up.jpg

put the chiller anywhere you want, but you SHOULD put the blower outdoors-- if indoors, the blower will push smoke into the room thru small leaks in the plumbing, and the blower itself. Outdoors, all positive pressure is outdoors, and all indoor plumbing will be in a vacuum condition. It's not that tough to do, I have 2 blowers stuffed into this patio storage box--
    blb3.jpgblb4.jpgblb5.jpgblb1.jpg
    --the fiberglass helps with the noise, as does my makeshift combo muffler/filter box. Note the holes on the side of the box for the motors to draw in cool air. With both blowers running you can barely hear them 50' away at 2am.

The only thing I need to change, is I need 2 muffler boxes- I have dryer vent louvers on both hoses inside the box, but they still don't block all the backpressure when only 1 blower is running; the louvers still let back into whichever laser doesn't have the blower running. I have blast gates but they're not leakproof either...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I second putting the blower outside if you're tight on space.

As for the chiller, I guess you could mount it on the wall. But I wouldn't put it over the laser. I've had one "fail" and leak out all the water over just a few minutes. Wouldn't take the chance of having that happen over the machine. Also, you'll probably want to be able to see the front of the chiller to confirm the temperature is correct from time to time.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Blog Entries
    My blower has now lived outside for 17 months. No, not in a box, or under a cover, but against my outer wall. It's pretty dry up here, and it doesn't get flooded due placement but it does get wet. I've got it powered thru a gcfi. Just saying, put it outside.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Like others have mentioned, get the blower outside. You don't want to listen to that thing all day.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

I've always had mine right up against a wall. There is nothing to overheat that would be helped by being further from the wall. Perhaps some of the air-cooled mainstream lasers need to be away from the wall - I don't know. And yes, put the blower outside.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408