Thread: Lad to Light Horse

Lad to Light Horse

Hello
    I thought I’d share a carving that is special to my wife Karen and I.
    The most special carving To us is ...Lad to Light Horse.
    It’s a Triptych of three panels depicting the story of a young Australian on his horse on the farm.
    Then the young man biding farewell to his family as he and his horse leave to join the Australian Light Horse in WW1.
    Then the third scene depicting the last successful charge of the 4th Light Horse at Beersheba Oct 31,1917.

Karen and I were very moved watching the Documentary’s on the history of Australia’s involvement in WW1. Especially the story of the Light Horse. Where many a young man joined with his own horse to serve.

So Karen and I spent a couple of nights thinking of how we could tell a bit of this story in a carving. With the scenes drawn and then roughing together the panels along with three months of carving, They were complété.
    It was a extra special carving since we we’re both so passionate about it and worked so much together to make it all it could be.
    We first showed the panels at The 2015 Spirit of the Land Sculpture exhibition in Lockhart, NSW. The panels were awarded Peoples Choice and it was suggested that the panels should be shown to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra which we did.

The War Memorial was very interested and it was seriously considered but it was not to be. We were very honoured that the Memorial even considered it.
    But we are very proud to say the panels are now located in the entrance of the Kyneton, Victoria. RSL ( Returned Servicemen League ) that has a Light Horse Museum.
    Thanks for looking.

regards Richard

horse_B1.jpg horse_B2.jpg horse_B3.jpg horse_B4.jpg

horse_B6.jpg horse_b7.jpg

horse_A1.jpg horse_A2.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-15-2018 at 4:43 PM. Reason: photos

Beautiful work.

Beautiful work. I didn't realize the size until I saw the picture with you standing next to them.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Great stuff, the tight shots look like movie stills. I predict the monument committee will choose less of the story; figuring all the visitors know it. They will choose a single image. Like some movie directors....the committees just yell:" MORE" and
    "LESS"

I'm in awe again Richard. I was thinking it should be in a National museum. Are you at liberty to say why they turned it down in Canberra? It would seem extremely "right" for it to be so housed.

Thanks for posting this one. It's deeply moving.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

More outstanding work. I don't think I've seen artwork that tells a story as well as this.

Thank you gentlemen for your kind responses.

Hi Fred. The Australian War Memorial corresponded with us for a week ( that was a exciting week! ) but The War Memorial decided that they already had 3 exhibits that they rotate out for display that are related to the Light Horse charge at Beersheba. Plus the large size was a factor. But it was quite an honour for the War Memorial to considerate it.

regards Richard

Well, I can understand that from their viewpoint. You must've been humbled just to have them consider it.

Love your work Sir. Looking forward to seeing me of it,

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”