Thread: Danish oil question

Danish oil question

Just finished a bowl with Watco DO and I guess I didn't wipe it off good enough because now it is a bit gummy inside the bottom. Can I use mineral spirits to clean it up or would it be better to let it fully cure and resand?

thanks,
    tom

I would apply another coat and wipe it off good. The solvent in it should redissolve the soft stuff.

Yes you can use mineral spirits as you suspect.

You can use any solvent but don't expect results. Hardening oils crosslink with oxygen, they do not merely "dry" like solvent based finishes. Good luck.

Watco = Minwax

they use 75% of volatiles + some BLO,in their finishes, the speed of the BLO polymerization is pretty slow, especially at cooler temps, I do think you can remove the Danish Oil with mineral spirits.

If your finish is old, that would be a good reason for the problem you have, also if it is cold where you have the finish and or turning.

Watco = Minwax.jpg Watco Danish Oil volatiles.jpg

Danish Oil msds 1.jpg Watco Danish Oil msds 2.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-13-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Just finished a bowl with Watco DO and I guess I didn't wipe it off good enough because now it is a bit gummy inside the bottom. Can I use mineral spirits to clean it up or would it be better to let it fully cure and resand?
    Tom, I cleaned up one for someone else with with mineral spirits. I had given her some oil and instructions but she forgot to wipe it off well. She brought it back after a long time (weeks? months? can't remember) and it was still gummy and sticky but cleaned up nicely. I may have used some fine steel wool on it along with or after the mineral spirits but can't remember that either, it was a couple of years ago.

It is important, I think, to wipe off the each coat completely - I use paper shop towels. I put the first coat on liberally until it won't take any more oil, let sit for an hour or so, then wipe off completely. I'll check it a few hours later and if any oil bleeds out of the pores I wipe that off two. I let the first coat dry/cure for at least two days then wet sand any spots I'm unhappy with using oil and 600 grit paper, wipe off all oil completely and let dry/cure for at least a day. I might go over the surface with 0000 steel wool if I think it needs it. I apply further coats, let sit for 20 minutes or so, wipe off completely, then wait at least overnight before repeating. I might use 6 coats or more. I usually don't buff to a gloss but prefer the softer look of just the oil.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Watco = Minwax

they use 75% of volatiles + some BLO,in their finishes, the speed of the BLO polymerization is pretty slow, especially at cooler temps, I do think you can remove the Danish Oil with mineral spirits.

If your finish is old, that would be a good reason for the problem you have, also if it is cold where you have the finish and or turning.
    Old and/or cold are definitely factors to consider - especially OLD. A partially filled can of Watco from 2 or 3 years ago is pretty worthless - will never dry properly.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-14-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote problem
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    ...A partially filled can of Watco from 2 or 3 years ago is pretty worthless - will never dry properly.
    Might depend on how it is stored. I fill my partially emptied cans of finishes with nitrogen to displace the air. I don't write dates but they seem to last a long time and don't go bad.

JKJ

^ Yes, absolutely, but if not treated prior to storage
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I always clean Watco Danish oil with Acetone and never a problem.
    John T.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had a defined circle of sticky DO in the bottom of the bowl (didn't take a picture) but was able to get it off by wiping down with fresh DO followed by blending it with steel wool. I'm still getting the hang of turning and wish I could do it more often but am definitely hooked.

This is from a black walnut log about 9" in diameter, turned semi-wet on my mini-Jet and finished with just DO.
    Comments/critiques welcome.
    Tom

BWbowl.jpgBWbowl2.jpg