Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guide System for drilling bench etc. holes LR 32/Festool

Blog Entries
    Steve, I think I found that and did a little searching with negative results. About to do some testing with the bits (above), bushings which I bought from LV and a section of a Festool table I already have. I am hoping that some combination of 3/4” and 20mm holes will give me a way to use my Lee Valley Hold Down and Surface Clamp which I like. The challenge is finding a design that will allow me to use the Festool Clamps I also like and use frequently in the same holes. 3/4” and 20mm holes are close in diameter to start with, which is motivating me to try various combinations of holes in multiple sheets of 3/4 ply and or MDF. I am going to run some experiments, like Jim mentions a few posts up. I will post the results.

PS
    The new bits do not work like Wood Owls at all. The threads in the new 20mm bit stripped out in the plywood as soon as the bit hit the wood. The threads held in the SYP (back hole) a little longer but the bit started spinning in the solid wood quickly too. Once a bit starts spinning it heats up very quickly, heat can cause cheaper bits to dull. My Noden AAB bench does not have a vise, further experimentation will have to wait until I get to a bench with a vise.

The interesting thing, in my warped mind, is I do not see a visible difference between the new bit threads and the Wood Owl bits. I know the Wood Owl threads will pull a WO bit through just about any wood though. Another possible difference is the WO bits have three sharper spurs vs four “duller” spurs on the new bits. We could be back to sharpening issues again.

7F5F6E90-ADC5-4354-BD5D-A27B6FBCAE29.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-02-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Have been looking at both 20mm and 3/4" and if one should combine the two. Came across a template made by "Dutchy" that has the top drilled for both 20mm on a 96mm grid and 3/4" drileld on a 4" grid. Am attaching it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Hole-y" work surface, Batman!!! That's a lot of holes...for stuff to drop through. LOL (Thanks for posting that Marius)

In all seriousness...my mind has been formulating a next-generation bench top for my primary bench that would reflect more how I want to use it. While the primary grid would be a mirror of the Festool 96mm grid of 20mm holes, I still need to build in some accommodation for .75" holes so I can continue to use my beloved hold-downs. I'm not comfortable using them in the slightly larger 20mm holes because of the potential for the extra angle to damage/enlarge the holes prematurely. I'm thinking the same for the dedicated luthery bench I'm considering adding to my shop, too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-05-2019 at 9:00 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...