Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Children+Mailbox= Me not happpy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    And hitting a guard rail is going to be a pleasant experience? I guess it is better than a bridge pier.

I actually hit a metal guard rail mounted to the side a bridge about six years in my converted bus. I think they had attached metal guard rail to the side because the bridge was old. The bridge was down to one very narrow lane and I misjudged how much room I had on the right side. I was damn lucky that the only damage to the bus was a scratch down the side and the tag wheel was knocked out of alignment. The studs on the tag wheel made one heck of a racket against the metal guard rail.
    My son fell asleep in the afternoon on the way home from a job as an ironworker while in the left lane of northbound lane of I-75 in MI doing at least 75 mph in his Ranger. Ran into the median and without a properly designed guard rail he would have hit a concrete foundation for a big overhead sign and likely gotten killed. As it was, he hit the nose of the guardrail that protected both directions of traffic. Totaled the truck, even broke the wheels, but he walked away with a few stitches in his lip. No air bags, but he was listening when I told him to never drive without a seat belt.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    It was my neighbor. In his big ol' yee-yee truck.
    Folks, if ya can't drive a big yee-yee truck, don't buy a big yee-yee truck.
    What the heck is a yee-yee truck???
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    What the heck is a yee-yee truck???
    Hahaha, it's a term I "coined" in college. I'm sure I wasn't the very first to say it, but the only person I know who does.
    Basically, a yee-yee truck is one of those big four-wheel-drive trucks, usually a Dodge/Chevy/Ford, that is lifted with huge tires, unnecessarily large exhaust tips, light bars, and stupid decals like "Salt Life", when you know damn good and well that truck has never been off road, let alone to the ocean or swamps. And to tie it all together, a driver who clearly doesn't know the dimensions of their own vehicle. I use this term a lot when I see big trucks failing miserably at parking and maintaining their lane.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Case closesd, then

So great, the mailbox problem is solved. Except for your task of running power for a bright light above the mailbox. Or just move the mailbox down the property a bit so it will be out of his way.

Rather than engage in war with a neighbor (to be avoided at ALL cost), even if I got a bad check I would consider it over. Eating the cost of replacing a mailbox or two seems like a blessing compared to the worry of roving bands of juvenile vandals or escalating hostilities from someone with possibly questionable judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Hahaha, it's a term I "coined" in college. I'm sure I wasn't the very first to say it, but the only person I know who does.
    Basically, a yee-yee truck is one of those big four-wheel-drive trucks, usually a Dodge/Chevy/Ford, that is lifted with huge tires, unnecessarily large exhaust tips, light bars, and stupid decals like "Salt Life", when you know damn good and well that truck has never been off road, let alone to the ocean or swamps. And to tie it all together, a driver who clearly doesn't know the dimensions of their own vehicle. I use this term a lot when I see big trucks failing miserably at parking and maintaining their lane.
    Sometimes called a yee-haw truck or redneck limo or (lots of other terms). Don't see too many of those around here - most of us with bigger 4wd trucks need them on the farm for pulling things through mud and up wet grassy slopes, hauling hay and tractors and such. We use sensible tires, and decorate with dirt and dents instead of decals. However, I would like extra lights when working at night, though, especially lights I could aim towards the sides and back. And if you routinely haul an 18' goosneck trailer you quickly learn the dimensions involved!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Sometimes called a yee-haw truck or redneck limo or (lots of other terms). Don't see too many of those around here - most of us with bigger 4wd trucks need them on the farm for pulling things through mud and up wet grassy slopes, hauling hay and tractors and such. We use sensible tires, and decorate with dirt and dents instead of decals. However, I would like extra lights when working at night, though, especially lights I could aim towards the sides and back. And if you routinely haul an 18' goosneck trailer you quickly learn the dimensions involved!

JKJ

Exactly! I'm a car guy, I'm all for modifications, but if you're gonna mod it, use it. It hurts my soul seeing wranglers and trucks all done up to be pavement princess'.

Hopefully, there's no bad blood between us. We shook hands and haven't spoken since. I did redneck rig a light so he "should" see it now. I don't feel I had to, but he seemed truthful enough, and I know how busy lives can be, so I'm letting it go.
    ... Unless that check bounces. Then I'm done talking.

Couple of large rubber garbage cans filled with sand or water, and then attach a bike flag on top of your mail box to increase visibility.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    As Mike suggested I would fill the balloon with a funnel. It would not take a lot of paint to get the job done probably just a few teaspoons then use your air compressor to fill the balloon. When it bursts the balloon will spread the paint out in every direction efficiently. If the post man sees the mess the next day blame it on the kids, they put the balloon in your mailbox
    That's just downright sinister! (I love it!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Serious question - how do you fill a balloon with paint? Seems like you'd have to have some device to inject the paint into the balloon since you have to put enough pressure to expand the balloon. Or is there some technique I'm missing?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would use a funnel. The paint should be heavy enough to expand the balloon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    As Mike suggested I would fill the balloon with a funnel. It would not take a lot of paint to get the job done probably just a few teaspoons then use your air compressor to fill the balloon. When it bursts the balloon will spread the paint out in every direction efficiently. If the post man sees the mess the next day blame it on the kids, they put the balloon in your mailbox
    What you're describing made a great scene in the movie "Scent of a Woman" where the dean and his Jaguar ended up covered in white paint. It was a pretty big balloon.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-17-2018 at 7:08 PM.

Probably just snow plows. You have snow in Georgia?

I'm familiar with those trucks here in Georgia. I watched a driver in one of those huge trucks, with humongous bumpers, who had no idea of its dimensions, at Home Depot scrape the side of a Lincoln while trying to park it last week. She left and moved to another part of the parking lot. Before she got into the store, the driver of the Lincoln came out and I was able to point out the offender, much to his relief.

That's tough to answer Wade. The weather people say it's snow, and it probably is for the first day maybe, then it's all ice. Last time we had a "snowstorm" schools were closed for a week. We got less than 6 inches. It's kinda ridiculous how unprepared the state is. So no, no snow plows.
    Also, I might add, the whole family is from Chicago, so I know what snow is

Thank you for doing that! I've walked out to my car on 6 different occasions to see it scratched or dented up! Really grinds my gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I watched a driver in one of those huge trucks, ... scrape the side of a Lincoln while trying to park it last week. ...I was able to point out the offender.
    I read of a person who bumped a car in a parking lot and got out and left a note on the windshield. The note said something to the effect of "Sorry I bumped your car. I'm leaving this note because people are watching. Have a nice day." Disclosure: I didn't see this myself so it might be a rumor or a joke.

JKJ

I heard that too, but also saw a picture of the note attached to the car. Could have been staged, for whatever reason, but I wasn't given a reason to doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    At least one of the reasons that the nation is so plagued by vandalism and property destruction is that people are not forced to suffer the consequences of their foolish actions. I have no pity on vandals, regardless of age.
    As a kid, one of my neighbors, and his friends were caught bashing mail boxes. Judge gave them two choices, five years in Federal prison, or five years in military service (this was when we had a "draft") with honorable discharges. As for brick mail boxes, lady at our church whose son was a passenger in a car which struck one of those types of boxes. Car wasn't speeding, simply ran off road. Brick came thru windshield and struck him in forehead. Results were life long brain damage. Homeowner's insurance, along with home owners personally were held responsible for his inability to function in life. This was 50 years ago. I would think hard before putting up such a mail box