Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Children+Mailbox= Me not happpy

Chase, I say this with a wiseguy smile on my face, so please take this as a joke of sorts......
    But I've gotten the impression from your earlier posts that you were a bit of a hellraiser yourself, not that many years ago. Could them goofing with you be a karma thing?

Fred

P.S. It still stinks to have to deal with it. I get it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ... Could them goofing with you be a karma thing?
    Every time I hear the word "kerma" used I can't help remembering a bumper sticker I saw once in Oak Ridge, proclaiming: My karma just ran over your dogma

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Every time I hear the word "kerma" used I can't help remembering a bumper sticker I saw once in Oak Ridge, proclaiming: My karma just ran over your dogma
    Ive seen that one too John!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Maybe it was a Karman Ghia...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have seen boxes with strips of wood on the exterior for reinforcement against bats. White oak strips about 3/4" thick ought to do it. And I have seen boxes made out of heavier steel. If it is just kids, they will move on to the next box that doesn't make their hands ring when they whack it with a bat. My mailbox (a triple as three neighbors share it) currently has a spliced 4x4 post as we get folks taking the corner too fast and sliding into it in the winter. Stupid but not intentional.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Practically every house in my neighborhood has a stone or brick structure housing the mailbox. I'll post a picture or two later.

Mike

[Here are a few of the "protected" mailboxes in my neighborhood.}
    Attachment 383745 Attachment 383744 Attachment 383746
    And at least a third of those we have in an adjoining neighborhood have been hit. Now that is an expensive mess to fix.
    NOW you tell me...

Well, I’m on my third mailbox in about 20 years. To be honest, it still makes me laugh. Reminds me of my youth. With all due regrets, I must admit I am still ahead. I’m afraid it’s going to take a few more before I can call it even.

I have a very heavy steel, oversize mailbox that's been mowed down by vehicles twice. Not a dent. Can't say the same for the wood posts, however. LOL Unfortunately, the door is rusting now after about a decade and a replacement mailbox is, um...not inexpensive. I may see if I can fabricate a new door out of aluminum once I get a feel for the CNC thing...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chase, you could try for "hardship delivery" to your house or relocate the box close to your house. Contact the local postmaster and explain the situation and remove the offended mailbox altogether.

A friend of my dads had the problem. His solution was to take the mailbox out and set it on the post on his way to work in the morning and retrieve the whole box after the mal arrived.

At least half the houses in my neighborhood look similar to those in Mike Henderson's post. There is absolutely no Federal law that prevents people from building heavily reinforced mail boxes. At least one of the reasons that the nation is so plagued by vandalism and property destruction is that people are not forced to suffer the consequences of their foolish actions. I have no pity on vandals, regardless of age.

Blog Entries
    Buy one of the larger package mailboxes and a standard sized mailbox. Put the smaller one inside the larger one and fill the void with concrete. To heck with all the worry for the poor vandal. Let him break an arm. I bet it will be the last mailbox he ever hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    And at least a third of those we have in an adjoining neighborhood have been hit. Now that is an expensive mess to fix.
    I saw one of these mailbox posts (see post 19 for pictures) the other day tilted over and with automobile parts at the base (parts of a front bumper and a few other things). Later, I happened to talk with the woman who lives there. She said that it was difficult to find someone who would take on the job of straightening the post (because of the weight of the post) and re-setting it in the ground but she did find someone and they did a good job. The post was not damaged except for a few scuff marks.

I'm sure it cost the owner of the car quite a bit more to repair the car. Neither of us believed the driver hit the post intentionally.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I generally agree with you, but this isn't the right hill to die on. I know it's frustrating, but replacing your mailbox now and then is just not that big of a deal.
    Why should a homeowner just be expected to roll over and potentially spend hundreds of dollars per year replacing mail boxes so they can receive mail? If the same kids were also knocking out the windows of cars would you just tell the car owner that it is an expected thing and to just keep replacing the car window over and over again?

Why is it okay for highway departments to place massive bridge piers at the edge of a road, but a reinforced mail box is a liability issue. I doubt too many people win liability cases against the highway department.

There is a local interstate with a bridge pier built partly into the shoulder. The bad part is the pier is shortly after the the end of an entrance ramp. If you can't merge into traffic for some reason and continue down the shoulder you run a large risk of hitting that bridge pier. No new bridges would ever be built that way because it isn't considered a safe design.