Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Children+Mailbox= Me not happpy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Why is it okay for highway departments to place massive bridge piers at the edge of a road, but a reinforced mail box is a liability issue. I doubt too many people win liability cases against the highway department.

There is a local interstate with a bridge pier built partly into the shoulder. The bad part is the pier is shortly after the the end of an entrance ramp. If you can't merge into traffic for some reason and continue down the shoulder you run a large risk of hitting that bridge pier. No new bridges would ever be built that way because it isn't considered a safe design.
    Any bridge pier (or anything else substantial like a concrete lightpole base) within striking distance will have a guardrail for exactly that reason.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Any bridge pier (or anything else substantial like a concrete lightpole base) within striking distance will have a guardrail for exactly that reason.
    And hitting a guard rail is going to be a pleasant experience? I guess it is better than a bridge pier.

I actually hit a metal guard rail mounted to the side a bridge about six years in my converted bus. I think they had attached metal guard rail to the side because the bridge was old. The bridge was down to one very narrow lane and I misjudged how much room I had on the right side. I was damn lucky that the only damage to the bus was a scratch down the side and the tag wheel was knocked out of alignment. The studs on the tag wheel made one heck of a racket against the metal guard rail.

I wonder if anyone ever filled a balloon with paint and placed it inside a mailbox leaving the door ajar just a little bit. I expect the paint would hurt someones feelings and it might be nasty to get off a car. If its Daddy's car or truck he might get upset.

I guess a water balloon would also be a deterrent.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-15-2018 at 6:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I wonder if anyone ever filled a balloon with paint and placed it inside a mailbox leaving the door ajar just a little bit. I expect the paint would hurt someones feelings and it might be nasty to get off a car. If its Daddy's car or truck he might get upset.
    Very, very clever idea.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Forgo the mailbox and get a PO box instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Forgo the mailbox and get a PO box instead?
    So, instead of being able to deal with vandals the answer is to spend several hundred dollars a year on a PO box and then have to drive over there to pick up mail regularly? Luckily, I don't have a mailbox issue, but my nearest Post Office is a 20 mile round trip. It would suck having to make that trip regularly just to avoid issues with vandals. I would have to wait a week to get any packages since that is the only time I could get there during business hours.

7. Kids used to raid my Garden the first year I put the Garden in. Always seemed to be the night before I was ready to pick the Corn, Peppers or Tomatoes. they would mysteriously disappear ! Neighbor kids were jumping my fence in the night and raiding MY GARDEN !!! I put a stop to that , by putting an electric fence around the perimeter of my Garden! Not one Vegetable was stolen out of my Garden after that !!

Serious question - how do you fill a balloon with paint? Seems like you'd have to have some device to inject the paint into the balloon since you have to put enough pressure to expand the balloon. Or is there some technique I'm missing?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Serious question - how do you fill a balloon with paint? Seems like you'd have to have some device to inject the paint into the balloon since you have to put enough pressure to expand the balloon. Or is there some technique I'm missing?

Mike
    I would use a funnel. The paint should be heavy enough to expand the balloon.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Chase, I say this with a wiseguy smile on my face, so please take this as a joke of sorts......
    But I've gotten the impression from your earlier posts that you were a bit of a hellraiser yourself, not that many years ago. Could them goofing with you be a karma thing?

Fred

P.S. It still stinks to have to deal with it. I get it.

I will neither confirm nor deny
    I never destroyed a mailbox though, that I can swear!
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

I like where your head is

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Some great things to consider, and plenty of stuff to laugh at here, and I have an update for everyone!
    I got bored one night so my lovely SO and I sat on the porch in the dark enjoying a beverage, that's when I saw it.. And I have to admit, I now feel bad for assuming it was a punk. It was my neighbor. In his big ol' yee-yee truck. Backing into my mailbox. Literally watched it happen. I immediately ran up and waved him down, he explained he works night shifts and "can barely see my mailbox". I don't know how you can repeatedly do the same thing and expect a different result(insanity?). Said he planned on fixing it when he gets back but "it's already fixed by the time he gets home, so no harm was done, right?" Wrong. Gave him a dollar amount for what I've paid, he wrote me a check. I swear to god, if it bounces or something, this means war. War I tell you!
    Folks, if ya can't drive a big yee-yee truck, don't buy a big yee-yee truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    At the risk of giving juvenile delinquents with water balloon launchers more ideas (perhaps not many reading a woodworking forum!) you can get a huge syringe from a vet or a farm store and force nearly any liquid or gel into any cavity. We use them for administering medications and dewormers. A drench gun (search amazon) is even better.

A red dye such might splatter nicely. I remember in college some guys drilled a peep hole between the boys and girls shower rooms in the pool building. A friend told me she waited until she saw an eye at the hole then shot some red dye through the hole with a squirt gun. Then the girls ran around to see who came out with a red face.

Maybe tape a MSDS sheet on the mailbox that they can stop and read if they want. Don't forget to get up early and clear out the box before the carrier gets there!

Hey, what about those steel drive-up mail drop boxes the post office puts up? They look pretty sturdy and must already be approved by the USPS. I'd like one facing away from the road that I can fill with years worth of junk mail.

JKJ

Don't worry, there's still plenty of other things to fill a balloon with. My child of an uncle once showed a very impressionable 8 years old (me) how to fill a balloon with Mayonaise and hot sauce. Then how to best throw it at a group of college kids without being seen. Of course, wouldn't expect anything less from a darn Floridian. Only joking about Floridian expectations of course. Well, half joking

As Mike suggested I would fill the balloon with a funnel. It would not take a lot of paint to get the job done probably just a few teaspoons then use your air compressor to fill the balloon. When it bursts the balloon will spread the paint out in every direction efficiently. If the post man sees the mess the next day blame it on the kids, they put the balloon in your mailbox