Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Children+Mailbox= Me not happpy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Children+Mailbox= Me not happpy

Y'all.. I need someone to try and break this down for me. I have a problem with my mailbox. Recently moved into a new home, and three times now, I've left for work, and my mailbox has been dented slightly and/or leaning badly/on the ground. I suspect kids, the neighborhood is full of them. I've even tried relocating it thinking maybe the hole was just worn, but it didn't work. I heard rumors from the neighbor that it's happened to others but seems very random, and I'm certain I haven't done something to rub someone the wrong way, we keep to ourselves, keep the noise down, and I maintain the yard. All this points to a child or children with a bat or something, at least in my eyes. SO, my question is, why in the he-double-hockey-sticks is it illegal for me to reinforce my mailbox as heavily as I see fit? I read somewhere there have been lawsuits against homeowners about people getting hurt while trying to destroy someone's mailbox, and these people damaging someone else's property are actually winning. I. Don't. Get it. How does that make sense? Can anyone explain that to me? Really scratching my head on this one.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Because if someone drives into your mailbox accidentally you want it to break instead of them.

Bob is right and there are specific and lengthy specifications on line.

Is it not technically my property that the hypothetical crash occurs on though..?
    Still begs the question how someone can be held liable for injuries when the injured party was, essentially, vandalizing.

Get a security camera and turn the video over to the cops.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post

That's what I'm trying to do. I have limited funds since my SO lost her job due to medical issues. So I'm working with what I got. I think I have an older model GO Pro laying around somewhere that I want to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    This...............
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have seen boxes with strips of wood on the exterior for reinforcement against bats. White oak strips about 3/4" thick ought to do it. And I have seen boxes made out of heavier steel. If it is just kids, they will move on to the next box that doesn't make their hands ring when they whack it with a bat. My mailbox (a triple as three neighbors share it) currently has a spliced 4x4 post as we get folks taking the corner too fast and sliding into it in the winter. Stupid but not intentional.
    NOW you tell me...

[QUOTE=Chase Mueller;2802030]Is it not technically my property that the hypothetical crash occurs on though..?

Most likely the mail box is in the "public right of way". Most places require you to maintain it.

Gotcha, thanks Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Is it not technically my property that the hypothetical crash occurs on though..?
    Still begs the question how someone can be held liable for injuries when the injured party was, essentially, vandalizing.
    It may be on your property, but you have to play by the post office's rules if you want them to deliver mail to it. The mailbox is also probably close enough to the road that it's subject the county/city/state/whatever easement for the road. And that's just from the property rights perspective -- the government generally doesn't think it needs a justification to tell you what you can do on your own property.

As far as injuring vandals, I'm not sure about that but as a general rule you can't set booby traps for trespassers. It's just a value judgment that human life and health is worth more than property.

Guess I'm just a piece of human garbage then. No sympathy for anyone who gets injured while committing a crime.

I generally agree with you, but this isn't the right hill to die on. I know it's frustrating, but replacing your mailbox now and then is just not that big of a deal.

It is not illegal to reinforce your mailbox here--so long as you are compliant to US Postal codes. It is very common to see a brick housing built around a mail box or in more rural areas for a well pipe fence built around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    It is not illegal to reinforce your mailbox here--so long as you are compliant to US Postal codes. It is very common to see a brick housing built around a mail box or in more rural areas for a well pipe fence built around it.

See, that's what I was going to do in order to be legal, then the HOA I didn't know the house was a part of was like ha, nope. Shame