Thread: WTB FELDER Schleiffix (Sanding sleeve)

WTB FELDER Schleiffix (Sanding sleeve)

I was hoping to buy a 80mm sanding sleeve from felder, but they are out of stock for 6-8 weeks.Does anyone have one their not using and would be willing to part with?

I don't know that you really want one.... they don't oscillate and they are hard aluminum. Much better off in performance and price to buy a table top oscillating spindle sander. This gets discussed on the Felder Owners Group on occasion.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Hi Brian,
    I appreciate the input and perhaps some further insight. I am planing to use the sleeve almost like a edge sander to clean up mdf door panel edges. I already have a oscillating edge sander but find that due to operator error(me), I very often take too much off one end. Since these are euro doors such a error shows up very easily. I only need to take a whisker off the edges and thought using the shaper with power feed I might get more consistent results.

Thanks, Richard.

Well, the Schleifflix runs pretty fast without the variable speed on the shaper spindle and because it doesn't oscillate, you will wear out the paper in the one spot you are using rather quickly. I would think that a good saw blade and use the slider, or a rebate cutter on the shaper and just kiss the edge. Then a couple swipes with a sanding pad by hand should be good.

If this is a recurring issue, I would investigate a horizontal oscillating sander with a three phase motor and use a VFD to slow the belts down to a real slow speed. But that's usually a fairly large machine.

I do all of my euro doors (and that's about the only type of doors I do) right on the saw with a fine toothed 10" blade and then use a hand sanding disc to smooth off any saw marks... in mdf as soft as it is, that would be seconds.

I just haven't ever heard of anybody having good results with that particular accessory.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600