Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammer weight

ok, that was funny. I like the hammer till.

"War Clubs" and others..
    IMG_3917 (640x480).jpg
    Yes, there are two framers...
    IMG_3916 (640x480).jpg
    The one in-between is a 16 oz. curved claw...for scale. The bigs are both 24 oz. Tape on the ends of the handles let me know when I am too close to the end of the handle.

I didn't even think about stone working hammers. I probably have more of them than hammers for nails. One has WPA stamped into it. I'll try to think to take a picture tomorrow.

Someone asked me if they could borrow a sledge hammer. I asked him if he wanted a 6, 8, 12, or 20 pounder. I still swing the 12 pounder all the way over, but I've never seen anyone that can put a full swing on a 20 pounder. There is a guy around here that builds bulkheads on the lake. He has a 50 pounder with a short handle.

Tom, the rare ones have the stamp worn off..... WPA mentions must, by tradition, be followed by a joke !!

The hammer head is steel on a titanium hammer.

Stan the handles are a sore spot with me. Just feels so much better to have a larger handle, then the douglas is pretty nice. I got the curved handle on the titanium and dont like it. already talked to them about cutting the rubber off and making a wood one they sent me a frame photo, then they did make the straight handle one beefier.

I was at one point going to get a wood handle titanium, I looked down the handle and it was crooked to the head. I asked for another and another and another after five I said forget it. Called the company they looked and they were all that way, Ive got an axe that way as well, and another name brand hammer as well. Ive reshaped a few handles to make them straighter to the head but then the size diminishes.

I have a block on my Visa card that will decline a transaction if i accidentally try and buy a Stanley product. If I look at hammers I always look to see if a handle and the head are on the same plane ive seen one name brand where not only was that off the head was also tilted to a side. Stuff made in the US now made in China. Nothing new. I have a decent amount of older US made stuff, you guys made good tools that ive had from the start and even some I bought used so older than I have been doing this.

I bought some racks a while back on one was a bunch of stuff and two hammers hanging, I wanted to buy one of them. guy wanted to keep it. Here is the handle even as coarse as it was just roughed out felt really comfortable. doesnt need to be as large as it is up near where it inserts into the head but get it someone just roughed it out fast during the work day. Finishing hammer but an oversized head. I also notice the steel in my fathers really old hammer just feels different in a good way.

2.JPG 1.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-18-2018 at 2:51 AM.