Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide between the JET and Grizzly 12" jp combo units

Can't decide between the JET and Grizzly 12" jp combo units

I know there are a number of threads about this topic but they are years old, and manufacturers change designs over time. Considering that, what may have been a "con" before, could possibly have been updated out of these machines in the last couple years.

Well, I had originally ordered a Grizzly jointer and planer separately, but both are on intergalactic backorder so I'm rethinking. My shop is pretty small to boot (25x25) so footprint is a big deal. I started looking at combo units last night and while I would like a Hammer A3 31, it's $5k, and the two units I'm seriously considering are closer to the $3k mark. I'm not a hobbyist, I'm a business and cash flow is key, provided that either of these machines can do a decent job at planing and jointing, which I think they can.

So I find myself tossing around the JET JJP-12HH and the Grizzly G0634X. Both similar price points, and as far as I know, comparable in quality. I like the pork chop blade guard better on the Grizzly, but somewhere I read that the JET has a higher cutter count. The JET has a 3HP motor, where the Grizzly has a 5hp. Beyond this, never having owned either a jointer or a planer, I'm not well enough experienced to grade the other differences in these machines.

I'm going to be placing an order for one of these machines in the next 24-48 hours. Which should I get and why?

Thanks!

***UPDATE*** Hold the phone. I'm seeing some striking similarities between the JJP-12HH and RIKON 25-210H

coincidence?
    Last edited by Mike Dowell; 04-13-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Mike, I can't weigh in on one vs the other of these. But there have been threads lately about delays in getting certain models from Grizzly. If getting something quickly affects your decision you might want to check availability of the machine in question (from either company). I'd do that over the phone myself, rather than relying on the website order page.

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Mike, I can't weigh in on one vs the other of these. But there have been threads lately about delays in getting certain models from Grizzly. If getting something quickly affects your decision you might want to check availability of the machine in question (from either company). I'd do that over the phone myself, rather than relying on the website order page.

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    Yeah, I did that, and both are available. That's why I'm ready to pull the trigger right away. Man, when grizzly runs a free shipping promo, folks jump!
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Mike, I'm not familiar with either of the units you ask about. But I did pick up on the fact that you state you are a business user. Do keep that in mind when you are acquiring machinery relative to duty cycle and also look around for pre-owned Felder/Hammer, MiniMax, etc., industrial machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I'm not a hobbyist, I'm a business and cash flow is key...
    I am a hobbyist with a 12" J/P combo. Every time I have to change modes, it's a pain. I don't think I would ever consider a combo if I had a business; time is money, and you will spend a lot of time converting back and forth.

my .02

I was looking at the minimax(huge price though) but it has straight knives. I've been told by nearly everyone that I want helical heads. Your business/finance advice is spot on and what my sister tells me(MBA).
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shields View Post
    I am a hobbyist with a 12" J/P combo. Every time I have to change modes, it's a pain. I don't think I would ever consider a combo if I had a business; time is money, and you will spend a lot of time converting back and forth.

my .02
    Main problem with me is space restrictions. I'm in a 25x25. Not a lot of room for a large foot print here.
    --

Blog Entries
    Remembering that the good thing about forums is we all get to give our opinions . . . I don't recall any one praising either of these machines overall. I'm pretty sure that's why we don't see many posts about them. Some folks took one for the team and reported back. Others learned from those reports although I'm sure there are some satisfied users out there.

Unless they are really poorly designed the change over shouldn't take all that long and the alignment should remain reliably consistent. I see a lot of reports that the alignment is the issue. If you are fiddling with alignment every time you convert you will be losing money fast. I would want to see at least a half a dozen reviews that state that the machine is "great". Maybe a thread to "Owners of the Jet 'XYZ' - Your Experiences?" would get you more surgical responses.

Both of these seem more like hobbyist level machines but, I get the cash flow thing. In a business situation I would consider either a 'tweener' machine that will either die on the line or just get replaced. Given that perspective I would pick the one people dislike the least and squeeze every dime out of it I could while saving for a more appropriate machine.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Remembering that the good thing about forums is we all get to give our opinions . . . I don't recall any one praising either of these machines overall. I'm pretty sure that's why we don't see many posts about them. Some folks took one for the team and reported back. Others learned from those reports although I'm sure there are some satisfied users out there.

Unless they are really poorly designed the change over shouldn't take all that long and the alignment should remain reliably consistent. I see a lot of reports that the alignment is the issue. If you are fiddling with alignment every time you convert you will be losing money fast. I would want to see at least a half a dozen reviews that state that the machine is "great". Maybe a thread to "Owners of the Jet 'XYZ' - Your Experiences?" would get you more surgical responses.

Both of these seem more like hobbyist level machines but, I get the cash flow thing. In a business situation I would consider either a 'tweener' machine that will either die on the line or just get replaced. Given that perspective I would pick the one people dislike the least and squeeze every dime out of it I could while saving for a more appropriate machine.
    Well that's pretty solid advice. Either way, the purchase is going on a credit card. The Hammer a3 31 is about $5k(and out of stock to boot).
    --

Main problem with me is space restrictions. I'm in a 25x25. Not a lot of room for a large foot print here.
    The Dewalt 735 is an extremely capable 12.5" planer. Do you have a cart or table that 735 can sit under, and thus not take up it's own footprint? Then buy a dedicated jointer.

If you can find a way to makes separates work, you should try; swapping modes will frustrate you to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shields View Post
    The Dewalt 735 is an extremely capable 12.5" planer. Do you have a cart or table that 735 can sit under, and thus not take up it's own footprint? Then buy a dedicated jointer.

If you can find a way to makes separates work, you should try; swapping modes will frustrate you to no end.

having had a small shop and now moving to a smaller one, i would still get two machines.

I was looking at the minimax(huge price though) but it has straight knives. I've been told by nearly everyone that I want helical heads. Your business/finance advice is spot on and what my sister tells me(MBA).
    The finish off the Tersa knives in my FS350 is really good. I've never wanted a helical for cutting, although it does often help with noise level.

As to the changeover time...IMHO, it's a none issue for a small shop situation, especially if milling work is planned. It takes me about a minute total to change mine over in either direction and is "zero pain". But the changeover on the machines you are considering might be different.

Your sister is a smart cookie...listen to her. Even before I decided to monetize my shop and start a business (recently), I always tried to consider a potential business situation when I was making buying decisions. While investing a little more can "hurt" initially, the total cost of ownership and return on investment can be better. And as a business, you also need to consider any tax benefits available to you for machinery, too. I'm not saying that to push you to any specific brand...it's a universal business decision thing.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-13-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I read your concerns on cost and delivery timeline and understand. I just wanted to say the Hammer unit in my opinion would be worth the extra money. Those silent power cutter heads are awesome. Don't think I've ever heard a bad review on the A3-31. Can't say the same for the other brands.

Dont know if you called Felder to verify the timeline on getting the Hammer but their website isn't always accurate. They may be able to put you in touch with a used one as well. Plus it's fun spending other people's money, huh?

Good luck whatever you choose Mike!

From where I sit Mike I would not buy either of those machines. If you've never owned a jointer or planer you clearly don't need one immediately, so I would wait on a good USED MiniMax or Hammer machine, or a new lunch box planer and a new or used 8" jointer. You should be do either option for less than your 3K budget. Spiral cutter head is nice but not necessary unless you plan to use mostly highly figured wood and don't have a drum sander.

Used machines are out there. I got a 14" MiniMax J/P about 3 years ago for just over $2K. Patience is rewarded. Used has so many advantages and few disadvantages. Cheaper, no shipping damage issues, you can see, inspect, and run it prior to purchase, etc.

FWIW, change over time is well less than a minute. Also, my MiniMax has a pork chop guard and I much prefer it over the Euro guard on my prior machine. YMMV. Oh yeah, if you get really lucky, as I did, the machine you find will have a slot mortiser on it. So now you have 3 machines in 1.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The finish off the Tersa knives in my FS350 is really good. I've never wanted a helical for cutting, although it does often help with noise level.

As to the changeover time...IMHO, it's a none issue for a small shop situation, especially if milling work is planned. It takes me about a minute total to change mine over in either direction and is "zero pain". But the changeover on the machines you are considering might be different.

Your sister is a smart cookie...listen to her. Even before I decided to monetize my shop and start a business (recently), I always tried to consider a potential business situation when I was making buying decisions. While investing a little more can "hurt" initially, the total cost of ownership and return on investment can be better. And as a business, you also need to consider any tax benefits available to you for machinery, too. I'm not saying that to push you to any specific brand...it's a universal business decision thing.
    As far as changeover, how do you get your planer table exactly where you left it in the event you realize you forgot to joint one more of those boards?
    --