Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide between the JET and Grizzly 12" jp combo units

Mike, here are a few thoughts:

As several have said, a digital read out (DRO) makes it easier to reset the thicknesser to the same setting. I use a Wixey DRO $70 on my Minimax combo J/P/Saw/Shaper. I don't get perfect repeatable results yet, I think because one of the brackets flexes a little, so I need to fabricate a new bracket out of some stiffer steel and see if that helps.

Re planing long boards: I tend to loose yield due to warping/cupping if I try to surface a really long board. I'm with Jim and others in that I prefer to cut my boards to ~ project size before surfacing them. That way any warp/cup is localized and I don't have to remove as much material to get a stable rectangle. If you start with very straight flat stock this isn't as important.

It is also difficult for me to manage pushing a 10' long 6/4 or 8/4 piece of white oak over the jointer,... The flip side to this - each project piece I make is cut a little long and trimmed to final dimension at the end, so there is possibly more wastage with this 'project sized pieces' approach, assuming you are starting with relatively flat stock.

Minimax (SCM) sells a spiral head called the Xylent. I suspect this is a special order item, I special ordered my entire machine and it took 3 months to build in Italy and ship. There are also third party spiral heads, but that adds to the cost since you would be wasting the Tersa head. I do get some minor scalloping from the Tersa blades but some 80 grit sandpaper on a Rotex makes them disappear pretty quickly. Also, the process of changing Tersa blades is amazingly fast and simple. I can swap out the 3 blades on my Tersa head in under 5 minutes, all perfectly aligned.
    Mark McFarlane

Certainly none of my business, but a credit card is an expensive way to finance a “largish” purchase. I’d look into a HELOC, or small business line of credit, if that’s available to you while the rates are still pretty low. But maybe, your sister has already advised you in this department.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Mike, here are a few thoughts:

Re planing long boards: I tend to loose yield due to warping/cupping if I try to surface a really long board. I'm with Jim and others in that I prefer to cut my boards to ~ project size before surfacing them. That way any warp/cup is localized and I don't have to remove as much material to get a stable rectangle. If you start with very straight flat stock this isn't as important.
    I'm not talking about face planing. I edge plane one side. Then rip on table saw to maximize board length, working around defects. Then leave this way until ready for a project. At that point, I pick the smallest pieces that will work for the job, cutting out defects, and then edge and surface plane. Of course, one doesn't need a long out feed table. I just prefer it. And if I were doing it as a business, I probably wouldn't even consider a combination tool. But, then I consider 25 x 25 shop too small for a commercial shop. This comes from my shop being 20 x 25 and almost too small for my wood hobbies. The challenge comes during assembly. That takes up a lot of space, or slows you down as you plan out the builds to fit the space. I can only build one large item at a time in my space. Something like 4 dining chairs would make it really crowded. No matter, these are just my choices. No offense to the OP. I'm sure one can make many situations work. And with space being a premium, perhaps the combo is the best choice. If I ever have to move to a smaller shop, I might do the same. At some point space is more important.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-14-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Certainly none of my business, but a credit card is an expensive way to finance a “largish” purchase. I’d look into a HELOC, or small business line of credit, if that’s available to you while the rates are still pretty low. But maybe, your sister has already advised you in this department.
    Depends on the credit card I suppose. I have a couple Platinum cards that are 7.9% fixed APR with very high limits. Are HELOC, or small business line of credit percentages lower than that?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

HELOC interest is no longer deductible after 2017. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post

And why not just make the outfeed on the combos another foot longer? You've already saved the space of a whole machine. Why "short change" the jointer?
    The answer is likely because of weight...humans need to be able to lift the tables for changeover and even with the spring assist, there's still a reasonable limit.

I can appreciate that you prefer to mill longer stock and there's nothing wrong with that nor is there anything wrong with preferring a longer jointer. I was only pointing out that for many of us, the shorter table really isn't a limitation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Are HELOC, or small business line of credit percentages lower than that?
    Ours is prime less 1/2%...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got the g0634xp. The quality of the machine in general seems pretty high. That said, the two weaknesses are the porkchop guard which seems like it was just put there without consideration towards whether it actually covers the cutterhead entirely (which it doesn't) and also the fact that the cutterhead has too few inserts compared to other helicals.

Charlton

Hi, the Hammer digital gauge is accurate to a few thousandths of an inch.

I have one, it works great. I also have a 16 and 32 inch table extension which are almost never used, except for one of the 16 inch extensions which is always on the planer outfeed. It keeps short pieces from falling on the floor before I grab them..........Rod.

What ever happened to paying with cash? I am currently saving to pay cash for a clear vue cyclone. It is taking a while,. But well worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    .................................................. ..
    The cut quality is excellent, the 3 HP motor does a good job, but with the reduced feed rate on the helical head version I can see where this may be a concern for a commercial shop. I have never had alignment issues with mine, but then it has remained stationary for the entire life of the machine. I have often wondered if there might be a connection between alignment problems and mobile base use. Changeover time and trouble is totally a non-issue for me. I've never timed the changeover, but it cannot take longer than 30 seconds.
    That's a thought. I made my own mobile base so the machine is supported the same as if it were on the floor. That frame is pretty stout - it looks like about 5/16" thick steel and but I suppose it could distort over time.

Mike, what are you building?

I've had the Rikon 25-210H (same machine as the Jet), and could not recommend it for a business where the machine is involved in a critical workflow because it does not retain its jointing calibration. As others have said it truly does excel at planing, and mode changeovers are really not a big deal as long as you plan your workflow. Its biggest failing is that the jointing surfaces continually come out of calibration, especially the outfeed table. I wrote an article about my experiences with calibrating the machine; hope it sheds some light on what it's like to own one of these units.

I got an eMail this morning about SCM 4.99% financing.

I won't say anything about a Rikon, which I have never used, but my JJP-12HH was adjusted correctly from the manufacturer and hasn't been altered in a year of use. Maybe the two machine aren't as similar as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I've had the Rikon 25-210H (same machine as the Jet), and could not recommend it for a business where the machine is involved in a critical workflow because it does not retain its jointing calibration. As others have said it truly does excel at planing, and mode changeovers are really not a big deal as long as you plan your workflow. Its biggest failing is that the jointing surfaces continually come out of calibration, especially the outfeed table. I wrote an article about my experiences with calibrating the machine; hope it sheds some light on what it's like to own one of these units.