Thread: WTB: Basswood for carving

WTB: Basswood for carving

I will be in Madison WI in late May. I would like to obtain a supply of Basswood for carving.
    I am looking for 4/4, 8/4 and 12/4 material, at least 6" [preferably 8" or even 10"] wide. I will driving a pickup and, therefore, able to comfortably handle 8' or 10' [or even longer] material on my drive back to Central California. Has anyone a dealer or mill they are willing to recommend?
    Ira
    Modesto

Quote Originally Posted by Ira Matheny View Post
    I will be in Madison WI in late May. I would like to obtain a supply of Basswood for carving.
    I am looking for 4/4, 8/4 and 12/4 material, at least 6" [preferably 8" or even 10"] wide. I will driving a pickup and, therefore, able to comfortably handle 8' or 10' [or even longer] material on my drive back to Central California. Has anyone a dealer or mill they are willing to recommend?
    Ira
    Modesto
    Perhaps consider Heinecke: http://www.heineckewood.com/
    I've never been there and don't know how far they will be from your route.

They were recommended to me. I ordered basswood from them and had it shipped to TN. I bought 8/4, 12/4 and 16/4 up to 12" wide, had it cut in 4' lengths for shipping by UPS. The wood is outstanding and the price was good. So far I haven't used it for "real" carving but for chip carving on wood turnings. Some photos, if you are interested:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chip_carved_goblet_c.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	383731 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	383732

JKJ

+1 for Heinecke...its a family business...

An option you can visit and pick up is: http://timbergreenforestry.com/ The business is just less than an hour west of Madison. My brother bought some basswood for carving from them when he was visiting. He took it back to his carving club in McKinney, TX. to share with those folks. Here's another that's a hour and a half west of Madison: http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

In either case I'd call to be sure they had what you want on hand.
    Last edited by Dave Fritz; 04-13-2018 at 9:29 AM.

Just a quick update...............I have found 'Select or Better' [S&B] for less than $2.50 a bd ft all the way to $20 a bd ft for #2...........
    WOW.
    I thank those have given a few 'leads'.
    Ira

I haven't bought any basswood recently but, last time I bought some, it was readily available at my local wood store (Austin Hardwoods) at very reasonable prices. I was purchasing it for carving and it was clear, straight grained stock.

I'm in southern CA but I expect basswood would be available in other parts of the state.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.