Thread: Interesting grinding wheel

Interesting grinding wheel

I found this at our local thrift shop where all the great deals come from. They were asking $60. After it sat for a few months, I offered $35 and took it home, as much because I like the way it looked as anything else. The wheel is 3" wide by 7" diameter. It has a 3" pulley on the motor and the large drive pulley is 10" with the smaller being 2" dia. I figure the wheel speed to be a little over 5oo rpm, if my math is right. The motor is a 1/4 horse Maytag.the one design flaw I can see is having the 10" pulley sticking above the height of the wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's neat. I'd have bought that just to have a 3" wide wheel available to me. Have you fired it up? How's she perform?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pisano View Post
    ....the one design flaw I can see is having the 10" pulley sticking above the height of the wheel.
    Nice! Is it a natural stone wheel?

Perhaps you could add a lower shaft for the large pulley and use a second set of smaller pulleys from that intermediate shaft to the wheel.

It wouldn't be much effort and wouldn't cost much - maybe there is enough in that piggy bank.

JKJ

You did good Tony. Looks like it will work well for plane blades and chisels.

Yes, I have fired it up and the wheel runs true. It does look like a natural stone wheel. I don't think it would cost anything to alter because I have all kinds of pulleys, motors and all that stuff that we all save, just in case.

Great find. I'd be tempted to shroud the belt and pulleys for safety. Simple 1/4 ply box hanging off the upper table could save some digits.

I agree, Dan. A belt and pulley can easily take a finger off.