Thread: Source of foil backed PSA vinyl?

Source of foil backed PSA vinyl?

I would like to make decals of my logo for my equipment, and I'd like to use my laser to cut it out.
    My logo is one color, but quite detailed, I want to make something like the stick figure families you see on car windows. My thought is to find a pressure sensitive vinyl that comes with the adhesive bonded to aluminum foil. It would be foil:adhesive:vinyl. I would cut the vinyl with the laser, not cutting the foil. The foil would hold the decal together while I separate out the bits I don't want. Then, apply transfer tape to the top of the vinyl. When I apply the decal, pull off the foil, apply, then pull off the transfer tape.

Does something like this exist, or is there a different method or materials I can use?

Not an expert by any means, but I have two grown kids who have been pretty involved in the evolving area. First, one uses a Cricut and the other uses a Silhouette. Both make vinyl stickers. As I understand it, the machines cut the vinyl as a sheet. Then a piece of (some kind of specialized) clear tape is placed over the cutouts while they are still part of the vinyl sheet. Then the tape is pulled off with just the cutout pieces, leaving the sheet behind. The pieces are then placed on the surface and the tape pulled off. At least that's how I understand the process. So there is no need for the foil. I've never done it, but that's how it was explained to me. Hopefully there is a Cricut or Silhouette user out there who has first-hand experience.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

I already have the laser, and was hoping to just use that, hence the foil backing. I've heard that some people are having success with settings that cut through the vinyl but not the backing. It would depend on what that backing is made out of.

Laser foils are made for that purpose, but Sign supplies sell Mylar films, and even Hobby Lobby has adhesive backed foils.
    They're polyester, not actual aluminum foil, but look like metal. Unless you have a yag or fiber laser it won’t cut aluminum foil.

https://www.johnsonplastics.com/engraving/engraving-supplies/laser-foils

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Laser foils are made for that purpose, but Sign supplies sell Mylar films, and even Hobby Lobby has adhesive backed foils.
    They're polyester, not actual aluminum foil, but look like metal. Unless you have a yag or fiber laser it won’t cut aluminum foil.

https://www.johnsonplastics.com/engraving/engraving-supplies/laser-foils

You are right, but I don't want to cut the foil. I want to use it as a backing, and throw it away after I apply the decal. The product I want would have an exposed adhesive after removing the foil from my laser-cut decal.

I suppose I could try making my own using some 3M spray adhesive.
    1) lay down foil.
    2) spray it with adhesive
    3) apply vinyl
    4) laser cut my decal
    5) remove unwanted vinyl
    6) apply transfer tape
    7) remove foil, leaving exposed adhesive on vinyl
    8) apply decal
    9) remove transfer tape.

Steps 1-3 would be removed if there were a foil backed (or other laser impervious) material for making decals.

In that case, if I understand your project, you can use 3M 467MP rather than spray adhesive. I always have a roll of 6”around and cut through it and other layered materials all the time. It’s great for applying to the back of Rowmark and other laminates for mounting after cutting labels.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

How about using laser thins (0.004") not vinyl for this.
    I know it comes in limited color choices but it has a removable backing that you do't cut right trough so it holds what you need after weeding unwanted area.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    How about using laser thins (0.004") not vinyl for this.
    I know it comes in limited color choices but it has a removable backing that you do't cut right trough so it holds what you need after weeding unwanted area.
    Okay. I was making this way too hard, I just didn't know what I was looking for. I believe the laserable foils will work just fine. I had it in my mind that what I wanted was a decal, but I just need to put my logo on, and it looks like the laserable foil will work for this.