Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negative rake angle (hook) handsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I tried one of Andrew Lunn's rip saws about eight years ago. It was noticeably smoother than my own rip saw; it was also somewhat slower than my own.
    Andrew's saw had more rake than mine and was probably filed more carefully than mine usually is.

I have used zero rake for forty years or more both on my rip saw and all my back saws. I don't start the cut on the back stroke and I tend to just start sawing. I think the optimum amount of rake depends on both skill set and preference. I have watched beginners learn to saw with the zero rake, however. Learning this way may actually encourage better technique because you need to emphasize saw speed rather than downward pressure to start the cut smoothly.
    I agree. Like anything, you get better with practice. I understand why a beginner may want a saw with more rake, a bit more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Agree Warren. Sawing with zero rake - especially starting the first stroke - is about a light touch ... letting the weight of the saw do the work. I am not sure what the current LN dovetail saws are sharpened at, but mine is zero rake. I struggled with it when I first bought it. It took a little time to get used to the bite. Now I would not have it any other way.

Eric, I am impressed with your control with so much negative rake. The saw certainly cuts fast ... perhaps too fast. A balance of speed and control is desirable.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I was pushing the saw pretty hard to see what the limitation would be. It will can track a line when care and proper technique are used. I build a fair amount of saws so I do a lot of test cutting throughout a day...good way to learn smooth starts.

Blog Entries
    You can get saw tooth patterns at the link below.

http://www.blackburntools.com/articl...try/index.html