Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fading off??

There are probably a lot of long time users realize that if someone asks a common question (FAQ) most of the replies have been stated many times and more of the same adds little to the thread. To those FAQs, if there haven't been a number of responses, I will sometimes respond. There are some FAQs that I will almost always respond as I believe a lot of people fail to realize the importance of a method for example. Take benchtop mortiser chisels and bits. I had to find out for myself how important sharpening those chisels and bits is for a benchtop mortiser to work well. Thus, I will almost always respond to threads with that topic emphasizing my belief that sharpening and honing is very important.

I think there is a place for Youtube but I also think there is a place for websites like SMC. I haven't felt any comradery at Youtube but I have made some friends here at SMC.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-14-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree with Jim,Ken & Glenn.

Glenn actually said it spot on with all that’s available there’s nothing like feedback and talking with others in the know to nut something out. And as Ken said you may make some friends along the way. No Video, Book or Mag can do that.

There is a movement here in Australia called Men’s Sheds. It’s for men of all ages to come together and work on anything or nothing. It is a huge success! A study found men usually don’t have the social network outside of work that the lady’s have. So when the men retire some find their a bit out of sorts.
    So hence Men’s Sheds was born.

Speaking for myself I work alone all day, everyday like a total hermit! I look forward to my wife coming home so I can spew out all I have done today. Well there is only so much the poor woman can take! So it’s great for me to have a forum like this to talk to folks who eyes won’t glaze over in 10 seconds when I start talking carving or metal working or? And to talk to folks about what their doing, completed, have questions on. It’s kinda like having co workers from around the world!

So there’s a big need for forums like this for folks like us that have these kind of lives

regards Richard
    Last edited by Richard Yates; 04-13-2018 at 9:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You ought to try an astronomy forum. You can always count on an extended dissertation to a simple question.
    Or a beekeeping forum...for every ten Beeks there are eleven opinions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well it should be noted that most YouTubers do interact with their viewers through the comments, and some are better than others.

But it's not even close to being the same as SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I prefer not to learn in a vacuum. In an interactive environment I have folks to reign me in if I start going off the rails and to add credence or corrections to what I think I may have learned from a book or video. You Tube is great, books are great, magazines are great BUT, when I am learning a new skill or technique, I want feedback.
    I agree Glenn.

I need to look at as many sides of a craft as possible. I found woodworking to be very bound by tradition when I first got into it. After all it's one of the oldest crafts. I was a rule breaker and still tend be.

As a retired self employed woodworker I like to interact here on the creek. It keeps me open minded. What works well for me may seem crazy to a woodworker just starting out. I have learned a lot here and shared my experience too.

I now know THE BEST way to sharpen tools from scanning the Neanderthal Haven!
    Nothing better than the free exchange of ideas to hone one's skills.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-17-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I prefer not to learn in a vacuum. In an interactive environment I have folks to reign me in if I start going off the rails and to add credence or corrections to what I think I may have learned from a book or video. You Tube is great, books are great, magazines are great BUT, when I am learning a new skill or technique, I want feedback.
    Agreed, feedback is important.

For me it's also a social thing. I don't have any social media accounts, however I'm a member of 3 wood working forums, this one, Canadian Woodworking where I'm a moderator, and FOG. I also am a member of a vintage motorcycle forum.

I have only met Rich Riddle in person, however many of you I consider virtual friends and would really enjoy having a coffee with you, I respect your opinions and advice. You're the sort of people I would like to have as friends.

That's not true with respect to something I've seen on YouTube................Regards, Rod.

I agree, Rod. Having been away for a couple years, coming back to see familiar names and shops is nice. Almost feels like coming home, which is definitely not something that the facebook and youtube type of ww media can provide. There is a noticeable decrease in daily activity on the forum though. I don't know why others go inactive, but I just got busy with other parts of my life and didn't have the time. I'm glad you guys kept the lights on while I was away!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Well it should be noted that most YouTubers do interact with their viewers through the comments, and some are better than others.

But it's not even close to being the same as SMC.
    I think that is the difference. In YouTube there is the presenter who is the appointed authority (it's their channel after all) and everyone else is the audience. At the Creek there is more equality among the voices with the authoritative answer coming from consensus. The atmosphere of the community is vital to the forum's identity and rules and moderation make that possible.
    Chuck

It's nice to have you back Steve, I've missed your posts..............Regards, Rod.

I read through the replies and I don't think I saw anybody mention one thing. A how to video on YouTube is already there. You don't have to post the question and then wait....wait...and then wait some more if an answer is posted at all. If I am doing something, I don't have time to wait unless I am researching ahead of time. You should research ahead of time but sometimes things go sideways in the middle of doing something. I also do things at odd hours(it's 3:30AM now)which doesn't help in getting a lot of responces immediately. The forums are more social if you me.