Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fading off??

Fading off??

My son recently purchased an older home. This meant he also took on a new hobby, fix-it up.
    After a few basic carpentry projects he seemed to enjoy the feeling of making things himself and started a few more complicated woodworking projects.

As I am downsizing, I started giving him some of my duplicates: routers and bits, layout tools, ... whatever. Then I said the best tool I've used in the last decade or so was my participation on SMC. Suggested he join.
    A while later I asked if he had seen any threads that helped him.

He said, "No, usually if I have a question I can find the answer on youtube. I looked at the forum and for every question there are different opinions as to how it should be done. Sometimes it is hard to visualize. On youtube I get different ways, but I can see what they are doing, then I can see for myself which ways are safer or better."

I responded that yes, but more information is always better.
    "Maybe, but for the time invested I think youtube is better."
    OK....

Just curious, is the self-help forum slowly fading out?
    When I joined it seemed like the topics were more varied and replies were more numerous. Sometimes if you didn't check daily your thread of interest was a page or two back. It doesn't seem that way anymore. It is like that in several other forums I am a member of, also.

How are the numbers? I know the membership is rising, but that just means the current members aren't removing themselves from the rolls as they become inactive. How is the traffic doing?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-12-2018 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Fixed font to "normal" to make it easier to read
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I think that for a quick how to do it, YouTube is great. I have used it to install a new ice maker in my fridge, replace power locks in a minivan and similar. They are often step by step. The information on the forum is different. Too often, you have comments by people who do not know about the specific subject. Other times, the explanations are not clear. It is not easy to write a clear, concise instruction. Other times, people go into too much detail.

I don't know the answers to your questions. But earlier this week I was reading my old posts from 2004 and it struck me how much more congenial and caring things seemed back then. People didn't seem to be quite as opinionated.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I don't know the answers to your questions. But earlier this week I was reading my old posts from 2004 and it struck me how much more congenial and caring things seemed back then. People didn't seem to be quite as opinionated.
    Very interesting. We joined at the same time and recently I have been thinking the same thing.

I think the hyper politic world that has developed since then is a factor and also I think YouTube is a factor in draining eyeballs away from forums like this.

At the same time, I'm noticing TONS of early YouTubers fading away.

It's not a new thing. Publish or perish was the old mantra among college professors throughout the twentieth century. The early successful YouTubers spent too much of their money on expensive equipment to up their game and then discovered just how hard it is to put out fresh content every week by themselves. It takes a team, but there goes the profit. No free lunch, yada, yada.

I believe people to people exchanges and sharing of ideas like SMC will be making a return and ironically, actually limiting participation, might be the key to success.

Thus Keith's conundrum re fees going forward.

Wait a minute. We did Not join at the same time. Not sure where I got that from.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 04-12-2018 at 11:28 PM.

I think it all depends on the subject and what not. Sometimes people see an answer or whatever and feel there's nothing left to add.
    Participation wise though, just last week I made a thread, by morning there was a good few pages, it was also locked, but that's not really the point
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

There are more resources available today than a decade ago, so it's natural for folks to move around and have different preferences. Personally, I believe that the video material on YouTube is valuable, but also complimentary to interactive sites like SMC and other social media. For me, it's not a competition; rather, it's an enriched opportunity to learn and share. And don't forget that there is a relatively high percentage of folks who don't have sufficient Internet bandwidth to fully benefit from streaming videos because they don't have access to actual broadband connections where they live. And the way things are going...that's not likely to change in the recent future in most geographies that have this limitation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 on that Jim. I don't see other platforms as competition like some may. I see it as growth potential. Like your surface area of absorbable knowledge increasing, if that makes sense.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

I watch a lot of you tube , but the Creek is also my social media spot. No way do I do Facebook or Twitter.

Yeah, I know. I don't get out much.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I prefer not to learn in a vacuum. In an interactive environment I have folks to reign me in if I start going off the rails and to add credence or corrections to what I think I may have learned from a book or video. You Tube is great, books are great, magazines are great BUT, when I am learning a new skill or technique, I want feedback.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    ... Other times, people go into too much detail.
    You ought to try an astronomy forum. You can always count on an extended dissertation to a simple question.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You ought to try an astronomy forum. You can always count on an extended dissertation to a simple question.
    I've been in different forums since the '90s and I have never don an astronomy forum despite an life long interest in astronomy and several scopes.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

[snip]

... recent future ....

[snip]
    ???
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I watch Youtube when it is the only source of information on a subject. However, I can scroll through a thread with feedback from 20 different people in 1/10 as much time and usually get more useful information.

Text is so much faster to scroll through than watching video. I don't understand how every single news feed seems to have video stories instead of text with a few pictures. Who has time for all of that?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    ???
    I knew what he meant but the term seems strange. maybe Jim is in a different time continuum. After all he is a moderator.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I knew what he meant but the term seems strange. maybe Jim is in a different time continuum. After all he is a moderator.
    OH, a moderator! I understand. The laws of physics are suspended for moderators; they can be in more that one place at a time, like paired quarks. I should have realized.

It's like the physicist stopped by a cop; got mouthy and ended up having his car searched. The cop got to the trunk.

Cop: "You've got a dead cat back here."

Physicist: "Well, I do NOW!"

Quantum computing is the only possible way to moderate SMC and remain sane. Of course, sanity has no actual meaning in quantum physics.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron