Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comfort Food and the Grilled Cheese Sandwich

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    When I was a "kid" 15/16 years old, my grandma introduced me to onion sandwiches! Rye bread, butter, thin sliced onions.
    I miss my grandma.

Bruce
    I'm sure your gandma meant well, but the best onion sandwiches are made with Vidalia onions, fresh baked sourdough bread and proper mayonnaise. Proper = Duke's or in dire straights, Hellmans. 'Course up in South Dakota, life requires a lot of compromise.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I could eat GCS everyday. Add a thinly sliced tomato to it and it gets better. Usually American cheese - the white stuff. But to really appreciate the levels a GCS can attain, take 3 or 4 thin slices of home made meatloaf, fry them in a pan with butter (lots of butter), and add them between several slices of cheese. My all time favorite sammy.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My GCS of choice is Rye or Whole wheat bread with 2 slices of Hoffman's Sharp and one of Swiss. If we have them in the house, I will also add sliced tomato. As for peanut butter sandwiches, I had to give up chunky PB due to diverticulitis and the smooth just isn't as satisfying but it is better than none at all.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Well, this prompted me to have a gcs for lunch. I added bacon to my sharp cheddar. We've been using pre-cooked bacon and it's so fast and easy we're eating a lot more than if we had to cook it each time. We sacrifice a little flavor but it's so easy.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Glad I waited until after lunch to read this thread.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Gouda for GCSs.

I must say, though, as much as I like finer foods with all-natural ingredients, nothing takes me back to childhood like a GCS on white bread (we normally ate whole wheat, so white was a treat) made with Kraft Singles and a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup made according to the directions, with some milk added at the table.

BTW, until you use peanut butter in place of mayo on a BLT, you're missing out.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I can't believe nobody mentioned Gouda for GCSs.
    Post #26.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Post #10 too but maybe because I said "smoked gouda" you didn't count it.

Mrs. is partial to Asiago cheese in hers. As for peanut butter in sandwiches. An old timer I knew years ago, would eat grilled peanut butter and fresh sliced peach sandwiches. He also often had scrambled calf brains for breakfast. Both are just wrong in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Post #26.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Post #10 too but maybe because I said "smoked gouda" you didn't count it.
    Fair enough...I must have been scanning instead of reading.

They say there are three things you shouldn't talk about: religion, politics, and what you eat with your peanut butter.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I already posted on my favorite form of GCS earlier in this thread. With that said, this thread got me thinking of one of my favorite sandwiches.

Braunschweiger and grape jelly on cheap white bread....(you know the kind that gets stuck to the roof of your mouth when taking a bite). This sandwich is best eaten opened face though.

I digress, back to GCS sandwiches. pretty much any kind of cheese is good as long as it has yellow mustard and multi grain bread.
    Vortex! What Vortex?