Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food and the Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Seeded Rye bread, adequate butter on the outsides of the bread, light powdered garlic and oregano, extra sharp Vermont cheddar. I often add a slice of ham. Brown in a large pan or griddle so the butter melts, soaks into the bread and browns. Guess what we're having for lunch today? .

Funny, today driving to work, I heard over the radio - "Today is GCS day!".
    Jim, when you start this thread, did you know about it?

Ed.

Monterrey jack cheese on sour dough bread makes the second best grilled cheese. Monterrey jack on pumpernickle is the top. And when a vine ripe tomato is handy, pry the two slices apart with all that gooey melted cheese and add a thick slice of tomato. Now at my house, there is a long somewhat odd tradition with tomato soup. We add cracked up beer pretzels instead of crackers and also season with old bay instead of salt and pepper.

I understand that there really is an actual "American cheese" Though now hard to find with all the processed "cheese food" products flooding the market. Also, we the American Cheese we buy, is white (actually cream colored) In the 1930's adding yellow food coloring to food like cheese and butter was considered adulteration and was a criminal offense. ,So in this area of PA, American cheese is usually white in color and folks refer to it as white American cheese. Many folks here would will not buy any yellow American cheese.

4. SWMBO has a sourdough starter she maintains and bakes a loaf of bread in a nice large boule-shape about once a week. It makes delightful gcs lunches and occasionally peppered sharp cheddar cheese toast in the morning. Sometimes with crispy thick-sliced bacon, sometimes sugar cured ham, sometimes salt cured ham, sometimes plain. Good bread contributes a lot to a gcs; grilling in unsalted butter is a must, too. Best on well seasoned cast iron.

I think I need to check something in the kitchen now. Bye!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I also use unsalted butter for cooking, James. A lot of it. Pioneer Woman would be proud of me!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had two tomato sandwiches for lunch today.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I love cheese and I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes snacks. GCS is a favorite and I usually get snobby and disdain American or Velveeta but the truth is I like it. Buttered, grilled in a frying pan using 12 grain bread.

I also have PBJ at least twice a week. I'm not big on tomato soup though.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I smoke meat and a little pulled pork thrown a GCS is great. I warm the pork up in the microwave first. We like it on light rye.

I forgot to mention a local restaurant we have here in th Cleveland are called Melt. Specializing in crazy, huge, grilled cheese sammys. They’ve been featured on a number of foodie shows, and every time we’ve gone there’s about an hour wait. No reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I'm a simple guy. I would much rather have a tomato sandwich. Just bread, mayo (preferably Duke's Mayonnaise) tomatoes and a little salt.
    Good: that means more bacon for the rest of us.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

WRT GCS, cheddar jack and gouda on sourdough, with some grated parmesan/romano sprinkled on the outside as it cooks.
    And Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque to dunk in.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Funny, today driving to work, I heard over the radio - "Today is GCS day!".
    Jim, when you start this thread, did you know about it?

Ed.
    No

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Today's lunch after food shopping was GCS with whole grain bread, Havarti cheese and some thinly sliced salami.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I smoke meat as one of my other hobbies. The LOML and I like smoked pulled pork on our grilled cheese sandwiches. The bread is sourdough or rye, warm up the pork in the microwave first.

When I was a "kid" 15/16 years old, my grandma introduced me to onion sandwiches! Rye bread, butter, thin sliced onions.
    I miss my grandma.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils