Thread: The Woodworker The Charled H. Hayward Years: 1939-1867

Blog Entries

The Woodworker The Charled H. Hayward Years: 1939-1867

Old dogs tend to be forgetful, well this old dog found a book that he stamped and dated inside the cover, 8-26-2017.
    I forgot that I had it. I think it might have come during the time we were recovering from Hurricane Harvey storm.

I only today opened the book and saw what is in the book. It is absolutely filled with techniques for using tools and for making things.
    I am looking forward to digging into it. There is over 400 pages of how to do things, techniques, and also things to make.

I just thought I would mention it, if you are interested, look for the book. He talks about things like proportions, cleaning up woodwork, pulling nails, and making things.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-12-2018 at 5:38 PM.

Is that 1939 BC?

Blog Entries
    It is 1939-1967 date. I am only today opening and beginning to read it. It is 400 pages.
    It is book II. I do not have nor have I seen book I.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-12-2018 at 5:48 PM.

I also recently bought book 2. I really like it and will most likely get all of the volumes at some point

You can read a sample (19 pages) of the book here - https://lostartpress.files.wordpress...l1_excerpt.pdf

Or samples of it and two of his other books here - http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/ch..._1940s-50s.pdf
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Or How to Make Woodwork Tools (complete 52 page book) - http://toolemera.com/bkpdf/haywardhowtobk.pdf
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Or How to Make Woodwork Tools (complete 52 page book) - http://toolemera.com/bkpdf/haywardhowtobk.pdf
    Toolemera.com is one of my favorite places for finding old writings.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, that book is worth reading. I downloaded it about ten years ago. I like that workbench a bunch, probably one of the better choices to build. Standard British fare of the time, utilized and popularized currently by a particular YouTube guru. The internal arrangement of the toolbox in that book appears to have heavily influenced a contemporary book on the topic: three sliding open tills, sliding shelf, and distinctive saw holder.

I like mine too Lowell, and refer to it often. I also have the joinery volume and like find it useful.

I hope you and your family are all slowly getting back to some semblance of normal since that hurricane.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Thanks for asking Frederick,

My contractor son repaired the house, SWMBO and I have been back in it for about four months.
    She is giving instructions again, our two dogs are as useless as ever, but loved.
    I am back in the shop, putting it back together, de-rusting tools, and piddling. I will start a new work bench
    with drawers and shelves.

Our two dogs are as useless as ever, but things are normal. I get to see my grandkids every day or so.
    I don't hurt. Life is good.