Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got an opinion on the Avanti 60 tooth fine - finish blade

Anyone got an opinion on the Avanti 60 tooth fine - finish blade

I picked this blade up for $5 at an estate sale this last weekend. It was brand new- the last blade in a 2-pack. I figured for that price it would be hard to go wrong. But I'm wondering how good it is. My laguna F2 comes with a 40 tooth combo blade I thing but I'm not sure. I would love to hear your opinions on the Avanti. Good deal or wasted my money.

https://www.amazon.com/AVANTI-Tooth-...s=avanti+blade
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

it's a marginal cheap blade...long story short I pulled one off of a coworker's table saw and replaced it with an Irwin Marple's 50 tooth combo blade and the difference was astounding...I mean trying to rip 1 3/4" poplar with the Avanti was a severe joke, a 24 tooth (thin kerf) rip blade was an even bigger one...the Irwin left a cut that didn't require sanding by me (though the painters will get that duty)

but...for $5 no money wasted...use it for MDF or some really nasty wood (cement residue, nails, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pyron View Post
    it's a marginal cheap blade...long story short I pulled one off of a coworker's table saw and replaced it with an Irwin Marple's 50 tooth combo blade and the difference was astounding...I mean trying to rip 1 3/4" poplar with the Avanti was a severe joke, a 24 tooth (thin kerf) rip blade was an even bigger one...the Irwin left a cut that didn't require sanding by me (though the painters will get that duty)

but...for $5 no money wasted...use it for MDF or some really nasty wood (cement residue, nails, etc)
    I suspect the the biggest difference between the two was that one was newer. They're both pretty cheap blades.

I suspect the the biggest difference between the two was that one was newer. They're both pretty cheap blades.

Maybe I'll give it to my BIL. I recently gave him my old miter saw and he just used it to build a new front deck. So he is probably ready for a new blade.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    The Avanti name has caused confusion since Freud discontinued using the name and a blade made in China showed up at Home Depot with a super-similar name/logo. I want to say this was as far back as 2010. Certainly in that ball park.

Bosch bought Freud's "accessory" business in 2008. This includes cutters like router bits and saw blades. The Avanti story seems shrouded in partial factoids and rumor. I became painfully aware of it when, as a satisfied Freud, Italian made Avanti customer I bought what I thought was a great deal on a pair of Avanti blades at Home Depot. I didn't even make it to the car before I noticed the missing Freud part numbers and the Made in China label in place of the Made in Italy I was accustomed to. Glad returns are easy at the BORG.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-12-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A 60 tooth blade is by definition intended to be used crosscut. I have the same blade and before I got it was on a radial saw so no telling what abuse it suffered. It produces an almost flawless finish on a variety of wood species.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Patch View Post
    A 60 tooth blade is by definition intended to be used crosscut. I have the same blade and before I got it was on a radial saw so no telling what abuse it suffered. It produces an almost flawless finish on a variety of wood species.
    On second though, I guess I'll give it a try and make up my own mind. I would love to have a better blade but with the tools that I have been buying I think I am starting to stretch my wife's comfort level. Got to cut back on spending for a while.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    ermmm...WRONG

the Marples blade was put on a SawStop...yesterday it got tripped (not by me) and of course the blade (only 1 week old) was toasted...the unit was replaced and the blade supplied to me was a SawStop 40 tooth combo blade...it doesn't leave nearly as nice of an edge as the Marple...so GO figure

the description of the 2 blade pack was what I KNOW the blade that came off the saw came from which makes me think the Avanti mentioned by the OP was a newer variety...

let's just leave it at this...the owner of the saw commented he would never use an Avanti again and would use the Marples in the future...

whatever
    Last edited by Michael Pyron; 04-12-2018 at 7:52 PM.

I had, and use, a couple of the Avanti blades on my 12” chop saw. They were definitely quality blades and I looked for them again when I needed replacements. Alas, what I had was no longer available. Your decision to try it on the saw makes the most sense. It’d be nice if you have another “high quality” blade to compare usage with, so then you’ll get a truer picture of what it can provide you with.

Clint

50 teeth seem like a lot for a rip blade. I assume you were not ripping very thick stock. It seems like a 50 tooth blade would have issues in 2 or 3 inch stock.

The old Freud Avanti line was pretty good stuff that was discontinued in June 2009, and was similar to the current Freud Diablo line. The new Avanti and Avanti Pro line are cheap OEM caliber blades...no better than what comes stock on most saws. Not in the same league as many of the better blades, and not ideal for fine woodworking. If it doesn't say Freud, it's not similar to the old Avanti.

To get the most from your equipment, go with at least something like the Irwin Marples, Freud Diablo, CMT ITK Plus, or Tenryu Rapid Cut series. Or better yet, Infinity, Freud Industrial, Forrest, Ridge Carbide, CMT Industrial, Amana Tools, Tenryu Gold Medal.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-13-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

One of you guys should just send me a blade.

I just spent $1300 on a saw and now if I tell her I need to spend another $100 just to cut things cleanly...She will either kill me or divorce me.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Why not use it for cross cut. Then buy a 24T rip blade. Rip blades are cheap because they have less teeth.

15. Quote Originally Posted by lee cox View Post
    50 teeth seem like a lot for a rip blade. I assume you were not ripping very thick stock. It seems like a 50 tooth blade would have issues in 2 or 3 inch stock.
    1 3/4" poplar...issues are relative, yes a bit of force required for initial rips and a fair amount more when using a feather board for final dimensions.

again, a very nice final edge requiring no sanding on my part whereas other blades left a LOT of kerf marks.

sure, having a complete woodworking shop setup would be grand, but that VERY RARELY happens on jobsites (e.g. having a planer or jointer to clean up rouge edges from rip blades).

again, I found the Irwin Marples blade to be quite nice for the $ ($40 from Lowe's)...I generally use a Freud Fusion, but am unable to pick one of those up at 6 a.m. and they cost 2x the Irwin blade.

not sure what exactly makes it give a nice finished edge...I do admit the SawStop blade cuts easier (10 less teeth) but again, it leaves kerf marks and tends to allow the board to wander a bit (I assume that is because it is actually sharper and cuts easier) even with a feather board.

as far as my reasoning as to what I was doing: I was adding extensions to door jambs provided by TruStile to allow for walls that are slated to have tile added to them...1 3/4" jambs you inquire! said jambs also had a slot cut in them by me for an aluminum reglet detail and the jambs themselves are also the casing (if you will). actually the 1 3/4" is the side opposite the door, the door side is 1 1/4" thick and the stop is 1 3/4" side if you will (e.g. the same as an exterior door with jambs milled out of one piece of wood as opposed to having door stop added)...anyway, since there is no planer on the site (nor a jointer) having a blade capable of making a very clean cut was rather important to me to avoid having to sand the product to make it finished.

sure, high $ blades are grand (I use Freud ultimate cutoff blades on my 12" Makita LS1211) but really not suited for portable jobsite table saws as they (with their thick plates and kerf) push the motor a bit much IMHO...I use full thickness blades on the "better" saws