Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do these items all have in common??

What do these items all have in common??

Peachtree Woodworking has some great special sales. I just opened my newest box of goodies, and found that all these items had something in common.

A Kreg DVD on trim carpentry with pocket holes.

A Kreg rotary inline clamp for bench dog holes.

Heavy duty steel leg levelers.

A cast iron bench dog hold down ( the old tap in type).

The commonality? Each of these items had an applied sticker which stated.............

WARNING: This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California
    to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Damn. I was just ready to start chewing my new cast iron hold down.

Sometimes I wonder..
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-12-2018 at 1:59 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ... an applied sticker which stated.............

to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. ...
    Unintended consequences. Stupid law basically says there's a penalty for not labeling something that can cause cancer, but no penalty for labeling something gratuitously. Hence the warnings on building entrances, etc., just to be safe.

I gotta' admit some of the small businesses that put stickers on literally everything seem to be mocking us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    You could move to Tennessee. None of those things are known to cause cancer here.

Off topic: Rick, will you please let us know what you think of those inline clamps after you've used them a few times?
    Thanks,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It's not new. I remember a few decades ago a friend of mine had small vial of deuterium depleted water- with a large sticker "IN CASE OF CONTACT WASH IMMEDIATELY". My friend asked, with what?

It was the same thing for a small piece of ultra pure copper. Everything was plastered with warning stickers. He said that in the lab the university chemistry students just stopped paying attention to them. How did they handle the real dangerous stuff? You don't want to know.

What makes the latest kerfluffle in California about labeling coffee as causing cancer really silly is that some water treatment processes leave flocculation chemicals. When heated these chemicals "ARE KNOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER". But the customers there don't have a label on their water taps. Yet.

-Tom

If they'd come from Harbor Freight it would have been 4 pages of fine print warning you to wear safety glasses before using.

They need to put that sticker on the maps of California and every "Welcome to California" billboards.

Blog Entries
    Brings back the old "crying wolf" message. Pretty soon no one pays attention because there is no differentiation of risk level. Lala land. Let them secede.
    NOW you tell me...

Warning You are entering California
    It has been know to be hazardous to you health.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My complaint is that they don't differentiate between the sort of exposure will lead to bad effects and those which will not... As such - it doesn't actually function as an actual warning.. Aka - HOW does this become bad for you and what do you need to do for protection... As such - it is simply a statement - not an actual "warning"....

So for example...

I do understand that my Toaster oven contains toxic levels of nickel, chromium, and copper within it - which if I ingested that amount of oxides of nickel, hexavalent chrome, and copper oxides - I would likely die... But we don't eat toaster ovens.... We eat toast - which is not full of electrical wire or ni-chrome heating elements...

Listening to music on CD's is not likely to actually expose you to any levels of "bad stuff" where burning them and inhaling fumes certainly will....

Using laminated particleboard shelves to store books will not expose you to anything harmful... But once again - burning it certainly will...
    Last edited by John C Cox; 04-12-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    [snip]
    Lala land. Let them secede.
    Hold it, we may need the Pacific ports. Maybe if coastal CA falls into the ocean, we can open new ports and live without the coastal dudes and dudettes.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    It's not new. I remember a few decades ago a friend of mine had small vial of deuterium depleted water- with a large sticker "IN CASE OF CONTACT WASH IMMEDIATELY". My friend asked, with what?

It was the same thing for a small piece of ultra pure copper. Everything was plastered with warning stickers. He said that in the lab the university chemistry students just stopped paying attention to them. How did they handle the real dangerous stuff? You don't want to know.

What makes the latest kerfluffle in California about labeling coffee as causing cancer really silly is that some water treatment processes leave flocculation chemicals. When heated these chemicals "ARE KNOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER". But the customers there don't have a label on their water taps. Yet.

-Tom
    My favorite from being a chemist for a long time, is the warning label on purified sand. The amount of personal protective equipment you need would mean you couldn't get anywhere near a beach.
    Here is a link to the MSDS for Sand, Washed and Dried
    http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/sand.htm

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    My favorite from being a chemist for a long time, is the warning label on purified sand. The amount of personal protective equipment you need would mean you couldn't get anywhere near a beach.
    Here is a link to the MSDS for Sand, Washed and Dried
    http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/sand.htm
    LMFAO - the new CA sand protective swim suit
    robot1920.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    If the label isn't there and someone gets sick or dies for any reason, then the lawyers have all the fun.

Stick on a label and take work away from a lawyer.

Take your pick... more silly labels or more lawyers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Berkeley Ca does have signs by the side of the road "This is a nuclear free zone"
    Bill D.