Thread: Chalkboard Paint?

Chalkboard Paint?

Anybody have any good recommendations for chalkboard paint and what type of surface to use it on?

I just make my own:

1C latex paint (I've been happy with sherwin williams for this)
    1 to 2 tbsp unsanded grout (mix to taste, I've found closer to 2 works better)
    Mix thoroughly.

I've mostly put it on HDF but any smooth surface seems to work pretty well. I usually put down two layers of primer sanding the first one flat after its dried and then two or three layers of paint on top.

Growing up we had two chalkboards at home. I have no idea where my Dad bought paint or what brand it was but he put it on some Masonite. But that's over sixty years ago when Masonite was a different critter than what you buy now. I'm sure any flat surface like MDF or hardboard would do. Be sure to put something on the bottom to hold the eraser and catch most of the chalk dust.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

They also make magnetic paint. This has iron in it so magnets will stick. I suppose you could use it as primer under the chalkboard paint.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Google "chalkboard paint". You will find several sources.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Google "chalkboard paint". You will find several sources.

I will be doing that, I was just curious to see what others have experienced...

Don't even know if they still make it, but a number of years agoI had good results with Pratt and Lambert brand