Thread: Finish for Black Walnut table

Finish for Black Walnut table

I'm building a 8' Walnut conference table for a client. Usually I put about 10 coats of urethane on the tabletop and buff it to a high sheen, but I was wondering about using a wiping varnish mixture consisting of boiled linseed oil, turpentine and spar varnish (one part equal of each). I've used this mixture before with good results and was thinking wiping three coats on would give it some protection, but you'd still be able to feel the grain. Thoughts?

I wouldn't do that for a conference table.
    I would stick with your urethane.

No, don't do this. It will contaminate documents for the rest of eternity. Stick to your urethane, but why 10 coats? 3 should be heaps. The procedure should be apply coat 1, de-nib, apply coat 2, leave overnight, block reasonably flat, apply final coat. This will look like real timber, not plastic and will provide ample protection. Use a 60% gloss. If you must have a full gloss, fully filled finish, follow the same procedure using a 2K urethane instead. No buffing required. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.