Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resaw Band Saw Question

Resaw Band Saw Question

I'm in the market for a band saw and have the opportunity to buy a resaw band saw. My question is whether I can use that band saw with a smaller blade to do more fine cuts, or is it specifically for resawing?

-Mike

Blog Entries
    More information is needed as to what model saw you are considering.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's a Grizzly G0555.

The G0555 is a 14" Delta clone, a general purpose bandsaw. Are you sure about the number? If that's correct, what you are looking at is not a resaw specific machine. In fact, it's not well suited at all for that task.

John

That is absolutely not a resaw machine. It is a run of the mill general purpose light duty 14" bandsaw, typical of the type and size most often found in a hobby shop.

I have the Laguna 18BX and am quite satisfied. I had originally been looking at saws in the 14" range - which would have likely fit my needs - but upon viewing a variety of options and having the opportunity to see an 18BX, my horizons and research broadened.

My primary concern was that the 18BX might be "too big", but after having it in my shop I haven't looked back. The larger table provides a great surface and ample area to work on. The larger wheels create less stress on the blades in comparison to something with a smaller diameter, and the longer blade length provides longer blade life due to less revolutions needed for each cut. The larger overall size and mass can create less stress than would be present on a smaller build machine for comparable work (though this can vary considerably depending on the manufacturer). Longer blade length doesn't provide any real negatives and the blade stability should be relatively similar on each machine given that the work area between the guides would be the same.

My saw is rated for up to a 1-1/4" blade but I chose the 1" Laguna Resaw King blade, preferring not to work in the upper capabilities, and it seems to be a great fit.

My other blades are the Lenox bi-metal Diemaster 2 blades (1/2", 4tpi & 1/4", 6tpi) and they each work quite well.

I am considering adding a couple other blades to my collection for other work, including a 3/16" blade to fill the gap between my scroll saw and the bandsaw blades I currently have. For the smaller blade, I would also like to add the Carter Stabilizer which would seem to be a good fit. The 18BX is rated for a minimum 1/8" blade, but I don't personally need that small of a blade and am concerned about breakage.

Overall I think it can be better to have a larger saw with the capability to do smaller work, than a smaller saw with the hope that it will also work well for larger tasks. Many folk suggest different saws for different work, but that doesn't quite fit in my budget at this point in time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Randall View Post
    It's a Grizzly G0555.
    To answer your main question, you can run smaller blades on that saw, no problem. As others have mentioned this is the de facto standard general use bandsaw size. Some folks put risers on them to get more resaw height and this is met with mixed reports of success. A stock 14" machine has a max height of around 6". Its ability to use that height is mixed based on horsepower and blade.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you need a bandsaw for resawing much I would pass (I have one of these saws). Maximum resaw is 6" without a riser block and HP is marginal at best. Otherwise it's a great little saw for the price. On the other hand, I wish I had gone bigger. The saw Glenn Bradley (above) has is the G0513 and is a better option but of course more money, but you generally get what you pay for and "price-creep" is a real thing when bandsaw hunting. For instance, I'd really like a MM16, but am considering a G0514X in the future to complement the G0555, but that will have to wait....

I apologize for the bunny trail, I had the wrong model. I was going off a picture and assumed the wrong model. It may not make much difference in the responses, but it is actually a Grizzly G1073 16" bandsaw for $400. I'm actually more interested in it as a general purpose bandsaw.
    Last edited by Mike Randall; 04-11-2018 at 7:01 PM.

The G1073 is discontinued and no longer available for sale. It's would do just fine for general purpose cutting...in fact, it's better suited to that than more than basic re-saw work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here is a spec sheet for the G1073, it seems to be an older model: http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g1073_ds.pdf

It says you can run 1/4" through 1" blades. If you need a narrower blade you can probably install different guides (e.g. Carter Stabilizer). But 1/4" can cut pretty tight curves.

It does not have a lot of resaw height capacity, just over 7". But the frame is heavy (so probably stout) and can fit a 1" blade, so it would likely be capable of very good results within that 7-3/8" capacity. 2 hp is plenty given the height restriction.

Seems like a decent saw for the price you're looking at, and probably an upgrade over the G0555 you first mentioned. But if you want to resaw wide boards then you should look for something with more capacity. More modern saws will typically have 12" or more resaw capacity, and can still run 1/4" blades. That said, a 7-3/8" capacity will cover a most practical resawing unless you do very specific kinds of work. I don't think I've resawn anything wider than that in the year and a half I've had my current saw.

Thanks for the input. The saw was presented to me as a resaw bandsaw with very minimal use, thus the misunderstanding. As I mentioned, I'm really evaluating it as a general use bandsaw.

Should be a reasonable choice for general purpose sawing with a blade in the 1/4-1/2" range.
    Check trunnions and the spring/tension mechanism for any cracking, confirm all parts are there, condition of guides/belt/tires/blade insert. You should probably expect to need to budget for some new blades.

Matt

Mike

It will resaw just fine. It will also function as a good all around bandsaw.
    In it's day, it was a very well regarded saw. I remember reading folks reviews of it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

laguna bx18

Quote Originally Posted by Art Tripp View Post
    I have the Laguna 18BX and am quite satisfied. I had originally been looking at saws in the 14" range - which would have likely fit my needs - but upon viewing a variety of options and having the opportunity to see an 18BX, my horizons and research broadened.

My primary concern was that the 18BX might be "too big", but after having it in my shop I haven't looked back. The larger table provides a great surface and ample area to work on. The larger wheels create less stress on the blades in comparison to something with a smaller diameter, and the longer blade length provides longer blade life due to less revolutions needed for each cut. The larger overall size and mass can create less stress than would be present on a smaller build machine for comparable work (though this can vary considerably depending on the manufacturer). Longer blade length doesn't provide any real negatives and the blade stability should be relatively similar on each machine given that the work area between the guides would be the same.

My saw is rated for up to a 1-1/4" blade but I chose the 1" Laguna Resaw King blade, preferring not to work in the upper capabilities, and it seems to be a great fit.

My other blades are the Lenox bi-metal Diemaster 2 blades (1/2", 4tpi & 1/4", 6tpi) and they each work quite well.

I am considering adding a couple other blades to my collection for other work, including a 3/16" blade to fill the gap between my scroll saw and the bandsaw blades I currently have. For the smaller blade, I would also like to add the Carter Stabilizer which would seem to be a good fit. The 18BX is rated for a minimum 1/8" blade, but I don't personally need that small of a blade and am concerned about breakage.

Overall I think it can be better to have a larger saw with the capability to do smaller work, than a smaller saw with the hope that it will also work well for larger tasks. Many folk suggest different saws for different work, but that doesn't quite fit in my budget at this point in time.
    Hi Art,
    I am also looking at the laguna 18bx, i read the manual and it stated
    '11. Dust ports 4".The bandsaw produces a lot of sawdust, so extraction is very important. This is achieved byconnecting a 4" dust extraction hoses with a minimum capacity of 1,000 CFM to the two dustports located at the back of the machine. The stronger the suction from the dust collector, thebetter for you and the machine." and was wondering what dust collection unit you are using and are you satisfied with its ability. Thank you in advance Bill K