Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Jig ?

Get a foreman. Bee's knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Get a foreman. Bee's knees.
    Yes it is! I have the K4, but when I started building my shop cabinets, the number of pocket holes required made the K4 too cumbersome. The Foreman was definitely worth the cost.

Wrong quote.

I am trying to figure out whether you use the top or side as the thickness of the piece you are drilling or does it matter. I think it is the top row. Anyone?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    K4 Master system. I also just bought their plug making jig, now the plugs will match the wood.

Oh, and somewhere on the web, there is a chart that shows what size of screw to use for same and different size pieces. I don't know if the chart included with the system covers joining 2 different size pieces of wood.

I guess this is the chart.

http://api.ning.com/files/kkaG0viVHk...ewSettings.pdf
    This is the one I meant to quote. Which row is the one that is the piece you drill, the top row or the side column?

Sorry for the screw up.

Thanks
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Wrong quote.

I am trying to figure out whether you use the top or side as the thickness of the piece you are drilling or does it matter. I think it is the top row. Anyone?

Thanks
    That's a darn good question. I was hoping someone else would jump in. I have not used the jig in this way. It wouldn't take long to figure out though. If the screw went all the way through the work piece, then...........

This is the one I meant to quote. Which row is the one that is the piece you drill, the top row or the side column?
    The left side is the main work piece that is drilled. The top is the mating surface.

Thanks Mike.
    George

Blog Entries

Thanks
    The dimensions that are listed vertically at the left side of the chart are the thickness of the piece being drilled.
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-15-2018 at 2:34 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Kreg Tool K5 Master System

1. Although I have used eventually pocket hole in the past three decades, always they were made manually with no jig
    2. I am new to pocket hole jig but from all my researches, Kreg is the best one available in the market
    3. I went to K5 Master kit. It was very expensive in my country (around USD 300)... is that for the metric scale?
    4. It is a great kit but an overkill for an amateur using it occasionally
    5. Today if I had to decide again, I would go to Kreg, undoubtedly, but something more basic and cheaper.

Good luck in your decision.

All the best.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 04-15-2018 at 3:02 PM. Reason: better phrasing

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The dimensions that are listed vertically at the left side of the chart are the thickness of the piece being drilled.
    Capture.JPG
    There are only two variables with a Kreg jig, one is jig setting and one is screw length. A good way of understanding the jig is to remember that the jig setting is almost always intended to get the screw exit hole centered in the thickness of the workpiece you are drilling. The clue to what I am saying is found in the chart in that the jig setting almost always matches the column on the left. The only exceptions are in (rare) cases where the mating workpiece is substantially thinner in which case they recommend a lower jig setting to split the difference. Generally speaking, I always set the jig to the thickness of the material I'm drilling, and then pick the screw by the thickness of the mating piece. Hope this helps.

By the way, one great use of the Kreg jig is to use the pocket screws in places where they won't be seen as a means of clamping a joint. Let's say you have a long workpiece with dowels in the end, and no clamps long enough to clamp the joint. You can use a pocket screw for the sole purpose of pulling the joint together and acting like a clamp.

Oh, and if you want to plug the holes and don't care to spend the money on Kreg plugs, just buy 3/8" dowel rods from the home center and it should plug the standard sized Kreg holes perfectly. Just trim off with a flush trim saw.
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-16-2018 at 10:06 AM.

There are basically two types of pocket holers. Those who bought a Kreg first, and those who wish they had.

We had an event to go to in Springfield Mo last weekend... so of course I HAD to go to the Grizzly Store. Wow !!!!
    What a store. I and my wife were impressed. Great Store !!
    And while we were there my wife bought me a Kreg K5 kit for my birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I have the K-4 system. If I was buying one to-day, it would be the K-5.
    +1

I don't use it enough to justify an upgrade, but do like having it available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    We had an event to go to in Springfield Mo last weekend... so of course I HAD to go to the Grizzly Store. Wow !!!!
    Give her a great big hug and thanks for all of us.

Thumbs up Love is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post

Great to know! Enjoy!