Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kreg Jig ?

I had a Kreg R3 - an older one that came with the Vice Grip clamp.
    It worked great.
    Then the word went out that Kreg was doing away with the K3 Master in favor of the K4 - some sort of patent dispute....

I jumped all over a K3 Master when I saw them on the shelf at Hartville Hdwe. a few months later, after all the online sources had dried up.

Honestly though - if I were to replace the K3 tomorrow it would be with the Harbor Freight version.
    It's actually better made than the Kreg. It's all metal, not plastic.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...kit-96264.html
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Here is another metal version of the Kreg.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....highlight=kreg

[QUOTE=Rich Engelhardt;2804843]
    It's actually better made than the Kreg. It's all metal, not plastic.QUOTE] I don't understand your problem with plastic. Think of the things you use daily that are plastic. Hulls on boats, helmets, the belts in your tires, counter tops, safety glasses, bullet proof glass, etc. Just because something is made of plastic, doesn't mean it's cheap. With both jigs (HF, and Kreg) the guide bushings, which is where the work is being done are hardened steel.

I just bought the HF pocket hole jig today. All metal and seems to be a good value for the money. Will try it out in the next few days.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I just bought the HF pocket hole jig today. All metal and seems to be a good value for the money. Will try it out in the next few days.
    Don't worry, you have 90 days to return it if it doesn't work out.

I don't understand your problem with plastic.
    I'm 66 years old. Guns, knives, truck beds and tools should be metal, not plastic.... .
    Heck, at my age, I just barely accpet the fact that "stainless steel" is really steel!!! . and there's ome other kind of metal than steel! .

BTW - my wife just picked up a ceramic kitchen knife. Wonderful sharp blade - - that the tip snapped off of 30 seconds after it's first use.
    I have 60 year old steel knives that are still perfectly fine.

With both jigs (HF, and Kreg) the guide bushings, which is where the work is being done are hardened steel.
    True - but - if/when the inserts get loose, the ones bedded in metal should be much easier to fix.
    Plastic has a lot of issues when it comes to fixing it.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 04-22-2018 at 6:03 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    rue - but - if/when the inserts get loose, the ones bedded in metal should be much easier to fix.
    Plastic has a lot of issues when it comes to fixing it.
    With the Kreg, if guide should ever fail, the fix is easy. Call Kreg and tell them what happened, and most likely they will want your address to give you a new jig. Guides are life time items.