Thread: Design element placement?

Design element placement?

I am looking for a good article, book etc... for placing design elements on your woodturning. For instance, I put a couple of beads on my bowl yesterday and feel I put them to far down, also when doing say an ogie shape on the side of a bowl (where would you start your curves) that one may be just feel. But if you guys could point me in the right direction much would be appreciated, thanks as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    I am looking for a good article, book etc... for placing design elements on your woodturning. For instance, I put a couple of beads on my bowl yesterday and feel I put them to far down, also when doing say an ogie shape on the side of a bowl (where would you start your curves) that one may be just feel. But if you guys could point me in the right direction much would be appreciated, thanks as always.
    Ron, I just wrote a note in another thread about my favorite book on design, Darlow's "Woodturning Design":
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....05#post2801205

One thing I like about this book is the approach is unlike some other books which do have design suggestions but all from the perspective of that individual artist/turner. Fine, if you like that person's style. Darlow provides what I consider a more systematic approach and shows a huge variety of options, often discussing what he considers the pros and cons. Simply thumbing through the pages usually gives me ideas of what I like and don't like.

JKJ

Ah, thank you very much. Sound just like what I'm looking for.

Mike Darlow's and Richard Raffen's book on design are excellent. Mike Darlow's books can get a little technical. You ask him what time it is and he will tell you how to build a clock. Still to has a huge amount of information. The Art of turned bowls by Richard Raffen is the other book.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    Mike Darlow's books can get a little technical. You ask him what time it is and he will tell you how to build a clock.
    Now that was funny!! Thanks John!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!