Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who uses/likes the Grr-Ripper?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I have 2 and like them alot
    Ditto, they allow me to make cuts that I would be uncomfortable making otherwise.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have two, special versions that are all black to match my SawStop and yea, for the right cuts they are awesome!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I have two, special versions that are all black to match my SawStop and yea, for the right cuts they are awesome!
    Is the "all black" version something that SawStop commissioned just for SS owners?

I hesitated to ask about Grr-Rippers as I thought they might be as hot a topic as SawStops can be.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have two and use them all the time. You'll still need a push stick or two for the instances that the Grrrippers don't work. Get or make gravity blocks for them. This gives you edge push on those really hard wood pieces that go through more stubbornly.

The Grr-ripper shines in cutting 1/8" strips, short stock that does not have a straight edge, and resawing (up to about 3/4 of the height of your fence, unless add a taller subfence).

It is true for some cuts, the guard has to be removed but that applies whether or not you use the Grr-ripper.

I don't use mine for cutting long boards as a featherboard and riving knife are more effective in ripping them.

Worth the money? Yes if you use it often for the cuts I highlight above. It is one of my go-to push blocks/shoes on my tablesaw (oh yes, it is a SawStop, too; you can never have enough tablesaw safety measures).

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 04-10-2018 at 10:20 PM.

I have a pair of them and use them all the time. I think it is the safest way to make cuts up to about 6 inches wide, wider then that and they still work well but other push sticks will also work well.
    Earl

I have one I use on my Sawstop along with the Jessem stock guides. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    The Grr-ripper shines in cutting 1/8" strips, short stock that does not have a straight edge, and resawing (up to about 3/4 of the height of your fence, unless add a taller subfence).

Simon
    Thanks for posting this. I didn't understand your comment, and it prompted me to go to their site where I learned of the 1/8" leg accessory. Nice!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I have 2 and like them alot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Ditto, they allow me to make cuts that I would be uncomfortable making otherwise.
    I have two as well and wouldn’t want to be without them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

One set of the push block ones stays on my 30" jointer all the time, have the TS one someplace (don't use TS very much and they don't help with feeding slr)

Made a pair a year or so ago and dont know what i did before that now.

Had the Grr-ipper first, 200 model I think, then later added two GrrippBlocks. If I were only getting one I would get the Grr-ipper, but the Grippblocks are great too especially at the jointer, but they won't straddle the blade of a table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I didn't understand your comment, and it prompted me to go to their site where I learned of the 1/8" leg accessory. Nice!
    To be clear on tis; the 1/8" leg is not an accessory. It comes as part of the Grr-Ripper. So nothing else to by as long as you don't run it through your TS - always check clearance with the saw off before making the actual cut.

I have watched every video I could find on the Grr-Riper and I'll be ordering one soon.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Hi Marshall, I looked at them however you have to remove the blade guard to use them, that ended my interest in them.

Having no blade guard greatly increases the risk of kickback or blade contact injuries.............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Marshall, I looked at them however you have to remove the blade guard to use them, that ended my interest in them.

Having no blade guard greatly increases the risk of kickback or blade contact injuries.............Regards, Rod.
    Yeah, I thought of that Rod. But when cutting small pieces the blade guard will most likely be off anyway. But I always intend to keep the riving knife on the saw so that will help some.

My intentions are to always cut with the blade guard on the saw for those types of cut where it can be used.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.