Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses/likes the Grr-Ripper?

Who uses/likes the Grr-Ripper?

I'm looking for something better than the common push stick that comes with my saw.

So, who among us used the Grr-Ripper 3D Pushblock? Do you like it? Do you feel it is safer?

Do you use one or two for longer pieces?

Thanks for your insight.

And yes I am back from the dead. I'm losing 200+ posts but I decided to go back to my original SMC login. I'll have to set up any friends again but its till me which ever account I use. Wish I could get them combined.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I use one and feel it's safe as long as you double check for clearance for the blade to pass through the "tunnel." I wouldn't say it will replace other push blocks, though. Definitely better than a long skinny stick with a notch in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I use one and feel it's safe as long as you double check for clearance for the blade to pass through the "tunnel." I wouldn't say it will replace other push blocks, though. Definitely better than a long skinny stick with a notch in it.
    From looking at the videos on it I don't think blade clearance for the blade to pass through affects teh safety much. But it would sure get expensive to screw that up. Those things are not cheap.

I'm considering getting two of them. Maybe one each of the base unit and the Advanced version.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have had one for a while...it is my go to push block.

I have a few of them they work great...I got a couple for cheap at a rummage sale.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    I considered one, but too frequently it would get in the way of the guard so I decided not to make it part of my workflow.

I have them and used them when ever I can. There are some instances that they cannot be used. Would I purchase again, definitely. I also have their other GRR-Rip Block for use on the jointer when face jointing. They are great also, much better that the run of the mill ones that came with my jointer.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

8. I used to use them a lot but then I got the Jessem Clear-Cut TS stock guides, now I only the Grr-Rippper for narrow cuts.

use one on my wood shaper. way safer than not having one

I keep two on each jointer. The tabs sometimes stick but I never touch the wood with my hand. I keep four on my one traditional saw, mainly for short pieces or thin strips. One usually fits without adjusting. Not a perfect solution but for certain types of cuts, I prefer to set the blade height just over the board and use the grripper rather than poke a stick with a guard in place. Not advocating that technique but it works for me. I'm also running 16-18" blades so the distance from front to back is greater than with a small 10" blade. Dave

I have two somehwere. I only use them on thin long cuts which is a rarity for me.

I have two and use them constantly. I have arthritis in my wrists and these are more comfortable for me. I think they are especially good for smaller pieces and narrow rips.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I have two somehwere. I only use them on thin long cuts which is a rarity for me.
    That sounds about right. Not sure if longer and wider boards would need them but I supposed they could still be used for anything other than crosscuts which would normally be done on the miter guage
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have one, and use it occasionally. When I need it, I'm darn glad to have it in my safety arsenal.
    It's worth the money when I need it.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have 2 and like them alot