Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got Scammed; want you to know 'bout it

Just got Scammed; want you to know 'bout it

Hi All -
    Be on the Alert, all! ‘Got an e-mail today - someone asking “can you do plaques?” - I wrote back ‘n told ‘em to glance at my web site for types, sizes ‘n pricing. And, to provide me with his full contact information.
    I received a following e-mail; the guy (Terry Thomas) trying to place an order for one-hundred 12” x 15” Alder plaques @ $59.95 ea. with the wording: “Thanks be to God”.
    He gives me his name ‘n address; goes on to say: “I will make full payment together with shipping charges with my credit card.” - instructing me to ship ‘em from Minnesota to his furnished address in the Virgin Islands. - went so far as to give me the shipping company to use. (Success Shipping Company.)
    I Googled this shipping company’s site - apparently, a legit company? - but, directly below I found the “scam alert” information. (Guess they’ve been pulling this stunt on small, to midsize, businesses for quite some time; and, apparently many fall for it!)
    “Red Flags” - lousy spelling ‘n punctuation - an out of the country shipping address - no questioning his paying “full individual price” for 100 plaques ? - the site I found went on to say that these creeps typically use stolen credit cards! So, anyway, I’ve deleted the information, and won’t be further responding. Just wanted you all to know!

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Didn't go through with the order right? I can't tell you how long this scam has been happening. It was even more common when the economy had its most recent slump, they targeted many small struggling businesses that were just happy to have the business, until the scam part took to play.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

I verify all large orders, even if prepaid through my website. Even then, if I've had a bad feeling, I'll delay shipping for a week or two to do additional validation.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Glad to hear you didn't get taken on it... Unfortunately enough people do get taken to make it a problem...

My guess is the most common modus operandi is to place the large order and then pay in full. Come back and ask to be refunded (via check or bank transfer) for part or the entire order with you keeping some setup fee for the trouble... Then a month passes and the credit card company notifies you of the fraud and backs the money out of your account...

So, this scam involves 'stealing' engraved plaques and having them shipped to a US territory? Is there a shortage of 'Thanks God' plaques in the islands?

The reward for the risk seems a little thin, what am I missing?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I had a similar situation.They "wanted" an item I had listed on Craigslist.They said they couldnt pick it up but would have their "shipper" pick it up..(Odd word "shipper").In the meantime they would send me a western union check .They told me to keep a certain amount for my trouble and just send them the balance back after taking out for the item.....been so long I can't remember specifics...They sent the fake western union check but I sure wasnt going to send them anything. I guess they get one to take the bait every now and then so that makes it worth it to them! A bunch of crooks!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So, this scam involves 'stealing' engraved plaques and having them shipped to a US territory? Is there a shortage of 'Thanks God' plaques in the islands?

I agree, and I LIVE in the US Virgin Islands! I have never heard of "Success Shipping Company," and I work in the shipping industry. This prompted me to google it, and it seems the scam is the shipping. They want you to send $x to the shipping company as a money order and add it to their bill. They actually are stealing the shipping money. Probably the "Thanks be to God" is just to make them look more honest. Funny thing- it's a very common saying here, but I guess everywhere.

I would like to know the address they were sending it to, because our addresses are not like US addresses. We don't have street names and numbers except immediately downtown, but even then we use the Danish "Gade" instead of "Street." The only exception is Main Street, which is really Norre Gade, but became known as Main Street. Beyond that, typical VI addresses are going to be an estate name and number, like "10 Estate Freydenhoj."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    We don't have street names and numbers except immediately downtown, but even then we use the Danish "Gade" instead of "Street."
    Interesting, didn't know that. Can we have the islands back please. It's too bloody cold here in the winter (I live in Denmark).
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    Interesting, didn't know that. Can we have the islands back please. It's too bloody cold here in the winter (I live in Denmark).
    We love our Danish visitors. People here still treat the Danish as one of our own. It is common to see the flag of Denmark flown alongside the US and VI flags. You may not own the place, but you can still come visit. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

Yeah, I don't really see the rewards there. Must be simply a numbers games. Hit up enough people you will find a few who fall for it.

But this one since it involves CNC work seems rather targeted and not worth the reward.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see the rewards there. Must be simply a numbers games. Hit up enough people you will find a few who fall for it.

But this one since it involves CNC work seems rather targeted and not worth the reward.
    The scam is in the shipping. They get you to make the item, then they want you to pay the shipper directly, and add it to their bill. They are using a stolen credit card to pay, and really the shipping company is fake, and they ask you to send the shipping company a money order to pay the shipping. They get the money order, and you get nothing because the card is stolen and eventually Visa takes back the money. They really don't care about the item. I believe the "Thanks be to God" is just trying to make them look Christian and win your trust. I saw a similar one where they posed as a church ordering something. It's all part of winning your trust, and the scam is the money they have you send to the fake shipping company.

That makes sense. Buy with a fake credit card is just part of the setup. The real money is in the shipping costs wrapped up in the legit money order you buy and cant get reimbursed on since they pay it with the fake credit card. Probably just discard the product people send them or garage sell it.

These people would be rich if they spend as much effort and ingenuity in a legitimate enterprise.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

13. Hi All, just a note about the name Terry Thomas, he was an English actor who main roles were to play Cads (people who cheat at everything). I think the scammer has a sense of humor but no morals.

That's kinda funny. Messed up, but comical
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Hi again -
    The idea that any business, large or small, would pursue this type of obviously fictitious “order” blows me ‘way! - but, apparently, some do.The consensus seems to be that the scammer’s money is made, somehow, from the “shipping charges” ‘n their use of fake checks and/or stolen credit cards.
    When I Googled “Success Shipping Company” - the freight company provided to me - below their site I found the “scam alert” information I mentioned earlier. - might be worth your reading. I'm including the link: https://glassmagazine.com/glassblog/...g-company-scam
    To Malcolm in the Virgin Islands - what’ a small world, uh? - was kinda interesting learning how your roads are named ‘n all. The scammer did e-mail me a “delivery address”, but I don’t feel I should publish it; I don’t want’ a carry this any further. Just hoping there’s a special place in Hades for the people who do this type of thing! All disgustingly sad, ‘cause I could use a (legit) order for 100 plaques ‘bout now! Stay on your toes, everybody!

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)