Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Lathe

Thanks John for the electrical suggestions and advice. I think the 220 outlet under the deck will be on the list for sure. Again, I turn mainly when I need something round with something else I'm building. I've actually never turned a bowl, although I am sure I will give it a try at some point. This all sorts started when I started making some octagonal boxes and wanted round tops to go on them. Then the Jet Mini was limiting me to about a 10" round top.. With overhang, that means boxes about 9" or less in diameter.

Jim

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ... Some lathes - like the 18-36 vsn of the Laguna offer aftermarket upgrades like a gap bed or swing away attachment, so you can upgrade the features and capacity if you get the itch later, but don't reasonably foresee needing these on day 1. This was a big factor in my decision to go 'middle of the road'.

One thing to keep in mind if you choose the "upgrade/get accessory later" path is don't wait too long! If you do, you might end up looking for goodies for a tool that is out of production. I got caught in this trap with my Jet 1014. It seems to me that it wouldn't have been too difficult for Jet to insure that the lathe bed extension was interchangeable between the 1014 and the later 1015, but nooooooooooo, it wasn't.

hmmmm, maybe I should heed my own warning and set some sheckles aside for the next Laguna sale, so I can get the extension or swing away for my 18-36.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

3. I have the Grizzly G0766 also. Bought it using the TOTH10 discount. I was about to pony up for a $4000 3520b but when you compare the G0766 to most all the mid priced lathes ($2000-4000) it actually seems like the price is too good to be true.Welll after a month or so of turning on it I couldn't be happier. If someone were to offer me the 3520b-c for free I would certainly choose it, but for 1/3 the money I would buy the G0766 again no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Thanks again to everyone for feedback. I had to make a quick run to Kllingspor Woodworking Shop yesterday and while I was there I looked at the Lathes they had on the floor.
    They had a Powermatic 3220, Jet 1640 and the Laguna 18/36. Of the 3, I liked the size and feel of the Laguna. But that is just standing next to it in the store. I have heard that the height of the Laguna makes it more comfortable? I'm 5' 10" in height so I don't know if the height of the Laguna is a plus or minus.
    The Powermatic seemed too massive for the turning I will do on it.... again, I'm more of a woodworker who uses a lathe occasionally than a "Turner". I'm probably leaning toward the Laguna at this point but wondered what might be the advantages of the Laguna 24-36 vs the Laguna 18-36? I know the difference in swing but wondered what features are inportant to those who might own one of these two?
    Also, do you have the mobile base attachment? I definitely want to be able to move this around when not in use. I even have my Jet Mini on wheels.

Jim
    he main differences between the 18/36 and the 24/36 are, as far as I can work out, mainly in the head and legs. As well as the switch gear. The spindle height of the 24/36 is 76.5mm (3”) higher than the 18/36, the same spindle height of the Vicmarc 300 unit I have very comfortably used several times. I’m 174cm or 68.5” in height.

The output bearing on the spindle of the 18/36 is rated as per the accompanying clip from the technical PDF of the Taiwanese bearing manufacturer whose bearings are, according to Laguna, their bearing supplier. The 6207 bearing, is the output bearing in the 18/36 lathe.

As you can see the load is not onerous, nor is it light, but the speed is most likely lower than a reasonable percentage of turning work; the computed bearing life is 20,000 hours.
    If you load the bearing by approximately 50% more, then the calculations come out to a bearing life of 7,000 hours. Add in some form of average speed increase and you will get a forecast decrease, but……….

With my current usage of approximately 10 hours of actual turning time per week and with no time off for holidays (I’m retired) other interests et cetera, then I have the impression that I wouldn’t be wearing the spindle bearings out on a Laguna 18/36 unit.

The Laguna 24/36 output spindle bearing, which is a 6307 bearing, has this over the 6207 bearing according to their website blurb, “The dynamic load rating is 30% higher than a 6207 ball bearing”. In short, the load rating, and by default the longevity factor if you don’t really change what you are turning, is quite favourable, on paper, over the smaller capacity lathe.

The wall thickness of the legs of the 24/36 are 80% thicker than the 18/36.

The real kicker for me is the remote switch as standard on the 24/36 something not at all available for the 18/36. Having used some Vicmarc lathes with a magnetic remote switch that enabled one to start or stop without being anywhere near the line of fire, is the real winner.

All the accessories for the 18/36 and 24/36 are identical.

I am awaiting delivery of a Laguna 24/36 unit and I am getting the wheels. I have seen and moved an 18/36 with wheels, unbelievable.

Mick.

Bearing_001.jpg

Thanks to all again for the advice and ideas. I'm certainly more informed now about my lathe selection.
    I am pretty much settled on the Laguna 18-36....now I'll just wait for Klingspor or some other place to have a 10% discount.

Jim

Just a follow up on my "New Lathe" thread. I settled on the Laguna 18-36. Delivery came 2/3 weeks back. It was a bear to put it together because it is Sooooo heavy. But, that is also why it is so solid. So, as with all new endeavors, there is always some "extra" expenses that show. I had to have a 220 volt receptacle put outside under our deck where I want to do turning. I then had to change out the threshold coming out the back of the shop. The one that was there was about 1.5 inches high....no way I could roll this monster over that so we removed the threshold and put sweeps on the bottom of the double doors to keep in heat/cool and critters out. Then I had to get a 1.25"adaptor for my Nova 2 jaws to fit on the Laguna.
    Well, today I finally got out and set up and turned a piece. The irony is that after buying this lathe so I could do larger pieces, my first piece was a small 3.25" diameter ring/jewelry bowl for my wife to use on the counter top in our bathroom.
    Any feedback is welcome. I wanted to start out with something small just to get a feel for the lathe. Just got a coat of GF Seal a cell on it today. More GF Urethane /oil tomorrow.

Jim2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Don't want to get in to the "which lathe is the best" thing but I will get into the "which the is the worst" one. Do not seriously consider, at any price, the Shopsmith if you want a lathe. It is a very shaky, even dangerous lathe and a very dangerous table saw. It's great as a drilling machine.
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    I bought the Laguna 18-36.

Jim

I think you'll love it...I got one last year and it's great.... I see some comments about it possibly being low for some turners. I'm 6' 1" and with the leveling legs up about 2" it puts the center of the spindle 44" from the floor. This seems very comfortable for me when I turn. My old lathe is a Record Coronet and I just checked and it is also 44" from the floor so maybe after turning on it for 30 years that height just seem right for me.

Do the leveling legs come with the lathe or is that part of a separate package? I've been planning on getting the laguna but am 5'11'' and after reading several comments was concerned that it would be too short. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the lathe so can't test it out (but it felt ok standing by it in the store).
    Thanks,
    Tom

The leveling legs do come with it but only give 2-3" of adjustment. I went to Klingspor Woodworking Shop here in Winston-Salem and stood at the Laguna 18-36. It seemed a little short to me....I'm 5' 10". I bought the riser kit and am happy with the height. If you have any need to move it on occasion, I highly recommend the mobility kit. It is probably the best mobile base kit I have ever seen on any equipment that I own or have owned. I roll it outside under our deck, plug it in and turn away. Use the leaf blower to clear out the shavings/etc. Roll it back in.

Jim

" Use the leaf blower to clear out the shavings/etc. Roll it back in. "

Holy Cow - seems to me like you're opening up an all you can eat buffet for the local termites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    " Use the leaf blower to clear out the shavings/etc. Roll it back in. "

Holy Cow - seems to me like you're opening up an all you can eat buffet for the local termites.
    I know termites like to eat tunnels in wood but would they eat piles of shavings and sawdust?

Dave,
    When I say blow it off with the leaf blowet, I'm talking about blowing the shavings into the wooded area behind our house(which is full of trees(wood).

Jim